From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 05:47:23 +0100
>Hello.  I am new to the list, and to Paleo. I have been following the
>Neanderthin guidelines for about two weeks. I've been listening in for a
>few weeks now, and would like to ask a question or two.
>Have some of you experienced relief from arthritic pain?  I am curious as
>to when I might begin to notice that happening, the sooner the better.  I
>have been in chronic pain for twelve years and I am very hopeful that this
>will help.  I spoke with someone who told me he had to address other
>allergic responses within the Paleo diet before he was able to get his
>pain to leave.  I will do that if needed, but I will of course be pleased
>if I don't have to go that far.  Anything anyone can share will help, I
>realize these things vary from person to person, but would like to hear
>what others experienced.
>The main thing I have noticed so far is freedom from hunger, a very
>welcome thing.  I was a lowfat vegetarian for a long time, and was almost
>always hungry.  The more research I do about this, the more convinced I am
>that this is the way we are genetically intended to eat, but it is still a
>major change and until I see some changes in my own body I suppose I will
>not be certain this will work for me.  I am not seriously overweight,
>maybe 10 or 15 pounds, but so far haven't seen any change there either.  I
>guess I want a crystal ball, but failing that, I thought some of you could
>clue me in to what I might expect.
>Thanks.
>Amy

My very unscientific personal experience would indicate that you will in
fact lose weight over time. Most of this will be water weight from dealing
with carbs , e.g., starches. It will also take some time to clean up the
joints - you need to turn around the degradation of synovial tissue and
rebuild it with the elements of your new diet. I would also advise all the
joint supplements you can stand, on the order of chondroitin, MSM,
glucosamine, green-lipped mussels, shark cartilage, and whatever strikes
your fancy. They are all nutritional substances and may accelerate your
healing. The most common allergens to affect the immune system are grains
and other starches, and unfermented dairy products. Stopping those and all
the sugars should start you on the right road.

You will find more clues in your own reactions to the diet as time goes on.
It certainly seems "right" to me to eat in this way. I have less headaches,
no respiratory illnesses. less fatigue, no fainting spells, clearer mind,
more lean body mass, AND less joint and muscle pain, after about 9 months
of gradually more strict Paleo. I found it beneficial to cut out most fruit
in quantity, juices, yogurt, and to obtain the highest quality meats and
fish, and to eat them as raw as possible. But I am certain that most of the
benefits of the diet can be had with less drastic measures. Hang with it
for a few months, and ask all the questions you like here!

ginny and Tomo, Paleo pals

All stunts performed without a net!