NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 14:49:47 -0400
Pammi -

I'm replying to the whole list, because some in the Northeast might find it
of value.

The place that we like best is Bertucci's, http://www.bertuccis.com/. There
look to be several in  Ct and a few in NY (we live in MA).

They're very good about allergies, overall. That's partly because of an
extensive letter I wrote to their headquarters a few years back about their
procedures and allergy safety. That was followed up by an involved
conversation about their procedures. They implemented all of my
suggestions(!). You'll even see one reflected on your receipt - "allergy -
verbal confirm," saying that the manager came by and checked (when eating
in). My son is so proud that we could do this and amazed that it made a
difference.

You order a "create your own pizza" and say, up front: "This is a special
pizza; please make sure it has NO CHEESE on it." They get it right almost
every time (getting better all the time). When you pick it up (if you're
not eating there), make sure they check it (they usually do now).

Slightly more risky is their bruschetta. It used to be cheese-free, but now
they make the bread and sprinkle it with Romano. We've asked for them to
make up a special order without cheese and, once a chef or manager gets the
message, they do. But the wait staff usually gets it wrong - they thing
there's no cheese on it, partly because they changed their recipe. Be careful.

Another place is Pizza Hut. A little dicier, since only two of the crusts
are dairy-free. Go to their web site and search for "ingredients" to see
the latest list. I'm also a little nervous about the volume that they do
and the increased chance for contamination. My hair-trigger son has eaten
at two different Pizza Huts, though, without reaction. Your mileage may vary.

In our own little town, there's a pizzeria that makes cheese-free pizza
upon request. All we had to do was go in at a non-busy time, explain our
situation, and ask them whether their crust was known to be dairy free.
With a little mom and pop shop, they take extremely good care that there's
no cheese and very little chance of contamination. My son eats there
frequently. Perhaps you can find a pleasant little pizzeria in your area
and strike up a conversation. You might be surprised.

As always, if you're allergic to dairy, you should always take rescue
medications with you. There's variability in the wait staff and kitchen
staff at most places. and you'll never know when there might be an incident.

G'Luck, and let me know how you fare. I drive through your area almost
weekly and my son and I are always looking for good places to have a
non-cheesy pie.

Mark