NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 09:05:25 -0600
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 27 May 1997 16:55:11 -0400
> From:    Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Whey seems ok, cheese?

> << I'd like an opinion on what the list would think if I let him sample
> cheese.
>   (He's never had it)  Would this be like the whey protein?  What other foods
>  with the whey protein could possible be ok with him and are there any other
>  milk proteins not as severe with foods I could try.  Help.....Thanks
>   >>
> ONE LITTLE SIP OF FORMULA WITH WHEY IN IT PUT MY CHILD INTO ANAPHACTIC
> SHOCK!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO DIE!!! Luckily, we lived close to a
> hospital and he was okay.    Please consult your physician before attempting
> to "sample cheese" it might be your child's life at risk.     For those
> people with lactose intollerances, they sometimes can digest some proteins.
>  If you alleric to dairy, please beaware that your child is ALLERGIC  and its
> risky to use products with any dairy in them.

I agree with Paula - this is not something to try at home if your son has ever
had a serious reaction to dairy.  (Alyssa also got satellite hives from her skin
test - for dairy, egg and peanut!).  Our allergist is a very strong proponent of
challenge testing and elimination diets, and he wants to challenge Alyssa with
milk.  She still gets hives from touching it, and has managed to have accidental
exposures about every 6 months, so I haven't bothered with the challenge test yet.
I will if we can avoid a reaction until she's 3 (she's 2.5 now).  BUT a challenge
test should always be done in the doctor's office, with medical help near by.

Also, I can report that Alyssa reacts more strongly to cheese than milk (although
we thankfully don't have alot of experience with either milk or cheese).

Laurie