NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:12:09 -0600

> Date:    Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:28:17 -0400
> From:    Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: allergies and eczema
>
> In a message Art wrote:
> << Skin tests at 1 year of age are probably not going to be very reliable.
> You
>  will need to use some trial and error, maybe even an elimination diet to
>  pinpoint food allergies. >>
> My children had very reliable skin tests at 6 months old.  I think this would
> be a good question for an allergist to answer not based on parent's
> experiences!!

My child, too, had very reliable skin tests at 8 months old.  Over the
next 2 years, it has become very obvious that her skin test reactions
mirror very well her "tolerance" for the foods they tested.  The borderline
skin test reactions have borderline symptoms.  The more severe the skin
test reaction, the more severe her reactions.  Fortunately, she's never
had peanut - since that was the biggest reaction on her skin test.

Paula's right, check with your local allergist - preferably one who
specializes in pediatrics.

Laurie (and Alyssa)