NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:22:47 -0700
Hi -

  I'd like to second the opinions already expressed here, that breastmilk
is providing all the protein and calcium that your toddler needs.  As the
quantity of breastmilk declines in his diet, you'll need to pay attention
to what foods he's eating.  For my daughter, I give her calcium-fortified
juice (Gerber Graduates, some orange juices) and Rice Dream "milk", since
I'm quite sure she doesn't eat enough of the calcium-rich foods right now
to meet her needs. (no longer breastfeeding, either).  Soy is a good protein
source for toddlers (tofu), and my daughter loves chicken (really tender from
the crock-pot).  And kidney beans straight from the can (rinsed) are a big
hit, too.

  Alyssa is 2 years old, and allergic to dairy, eggs, soy and peanuts. We've
modified our own diets to match hers much of the time, and she is very
mature and understanding that some foods will make her sick, even if her
friends (or parents) are eating them.  I'm interested in hearing how others
deal with peer pressure and school issues with older kids - I think this
will be a major problem, but maybe not?  I'm still hoping she will outgrow
at least some of her sensitivity to these foods, but the pollen and animal
allergies have already started, so we're in for an interesting medical
history, I'm sure!

Laurie Carson (and Alyssa, 11-14-94)