GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:09:32 PST
Musa Jeng,

I have seen your comments, and I must say that you have raised some
important issues. I'll elaborate or elucidate on my point as soon as
possible. By the way, Mr Jeng, you should write more frequently, because you
do make very relevant/useful comments.

Gambia L, let's get one thing straight: I am not here to hold a brief for Mr
Jammeh. In fact, every observer of the Gambia's political scene knows that I
am a constant critic of Jammeh, but Mr Jeng I can assure you that a
continuation of UNDILUTED military rule would have been terrible for our
country. In fact, the old adage could help here: Half a loaf is better than
none.

Of course, there are still countless/myriad excesses being perpetrated by
the regime; and, in fact, these excesses are even pointed out, from time to
time, on this very forum, by many list members.

In fact, Sister Jabou Joh did an excellent job in pointing out many of these
excesses/abuses when she was engaged in polemics with Tombong Saidy the
other day.

But, Mr Jeng, I can tell you that there were certain barbaric acts,
permissible when the Gambia was under undiluted military rule, that cannot
be done/permitted now.

Jammeh's hands are a little bit tied, now that he is a so-called civilian
leader.

If the Gambia was still under UNDILUTED military rule, believe me, the
former Agriculture Minister, OJ Jallow, of all people, would never have been
allowed to leave the Gambia, to go and work for the FAO in the Ghana.

Perhaps even Ousainou Darboe would have disappeared by now if you know what
I mean. As I write this piece, OJ Jallow is, in fact, taking the government
to court for wrongful arrest and detention.

Of course, I am wise/old enough to know that nothing would come out of this
case. Eventually, the court would dismiss the case and say that the then
Ruling Military Council cannot be taken to court for the acts commited
during the transition period.

But do you think OJ could have taken this action if the Gambia was still
under UNDILUTED military rule? The other day, I went to Gatwick airport to
receive a guest, and I saw MC Cham by chance. He was returning to the
Gambia, after having spent some time here.

Do you think the Jammeh regime would have allowed MC Cham, given his
links/ties with Jawara to visit the UK, where Jawara is resident, if the
Gambia was still under undiluted military rule?

Anyway, I'll expand on these points, as I stated earlier, as soon possible.

Right now, I have got lots of urgent private e-mails to reply.

O.B Sillah, at one point, Peter Gomez was back in the Gambia, working for
Radio Gambia, but I am not sure whether he is still there. He did an
extremely good job when he was in Germany, working for Radio Deuschevelle.
Peter is a star!!

Peter Gomez, Joy Coker-Roberts, Jainaba Nyang, Amie Joof-Cole are excellent
newscasters who can work in any radio station in the world.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.