EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:19:40 -0400
"ITHACA, N.Y. -- Barely measurable amounts of energy, released as body heat,
could be the difference between holding the waistline or adding 10 pounds a
year, say Cornell University researchers who turned couch-potato rats into
exercising athletes.

The culprit: excess dietary protein and fat, particularly from animal-based
foods. These appear to tip a delicate energy balance toward adding body fat
instead of burning energy through a metabolic process called thermogenesis,
says Cornell nutritional biochemist T. Colin Campbell. His theory of energy
balance and obesity -- an old one now refined by new findings -- was
developed through studies of diet and disease among rural Chinese and
laboratory rats, and it could explain why so many attempts at dieting are
doomed. His proposed solution: Eat a diet that is low in animal-based fats
and proteins and rich in plant-based nutrients and fiber. "

link:  http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov98/thermogenesis.hrs.html

I'm still not gonna eat rice....for me it doesn't work.

Diane