EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:38:09 GMT
Hello E.A.,

In the European SILC project (System for Independently Living Citizens),
we have been developing an intelligent wrist unit with sensors and with
a Bluetooth link to a PC.  The wrist unit is like a very large watch,
and has an LCD display, audio input/output, vibrator and a few buttons.
The Bluetooth link to a PC connects into the telephone system,
such that the wrist unit can be used as a cordless phone.

Dietmar Messerschmidt, a colleague in SILC, has suggested sensors such
that the wrist unit could be used to measure tilts or slopes.  The
wrist unit would send the sensor data for analysis, via a Bluetooth link,
to a program on a PC.  This program would have to be written to
work out the slope/inclination from the sensor data, but it shouldn't
be too difficult to write.  We have been using a speech synthesiser
on the PC, so speaking the results is no problem.

Would anybody on this list be interested in writing the program?
Or could somebody at the University of Sussex do this?

BTW, a more advanced version of the wrist unit will have an ARM
processor running Linux, with 16-32 Megbyte memory and speech
processing, and could be used as a platform for a variety of
applications such as the Clinometer in a self-contained unit.
We are hoping that AT vendors will want to build lots of
interesting new applications on this platform.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk