CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
frank scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:27:15 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
December, 1999

Tower of Bubble

We approach  a new millennium with some fearing that the end is near.
They  stock up on canned beans and  loaded weapons,  preparing for an
explosion that may have more to do with their gastric systems than with
our economic system. But at least they  worry about something outside
themselves.  Most of us are taught to think our problems are personal ,
not social .

It would be an overstatement to call us brain- washed, but we do have
our  minds  rinsed by consciousness controllers . Only a misinformed
citizenry could believe that these were economic boom times, when more
than 34 million of us are still  poor,  more than 13 million of those
being children.

Most  Americans  live reasonably well, but only because they are in
great debt. A serious illness or loss of job could mean the end of
their individual good times. Yet, despite their marginal situation,
Americans generally believe that all others are  doing wonderfully.

The  majority is led to think that everyone else owns  stocks that lose
at the market but somehow win on Wall Street  , has cell phones and
pagers in every pocket and purse, and lives a  life of leisure  and fun.
So why is it that 10% of us are certified as clinically  depressed,
allegedly costing employers more than 36 billion a year in lost labor?
And remember that millions of Americans cannot afford to be clinically
certified anything, because they are  without health insurance , or
have  less than they need .

If we’re doing so well, why do we drink so much booze, take so many
drugs,  need so much therapy and take so much advice  that we are the
world’s foremost market for hustlers who teach us profound truths, like
how to get up in the morning and wash our faces? If things are under
control, why are we overweight, overworked, overspent and overwrought?

A regular dose of mind rinse from our consciousness controllers  fills
our heads with personal dread , while emptying them of  social
awareness. Threats to our survival are supposed to be things like
violent kids, even if none live in our neighborhoods, or foreign
terrorists whose names we can’t pronounce and whose homelands we can’t
find on a map. Or people who foolishly stand in the way of   global free
trade, because they can’t see the logic in more jobs for less pay, and
more   profits for less people.

The unemployment rate is  at 4%,  considered high in some societies .
But that  rate is deceiving, since it involves generally lower paying
work; more than 28 million of us earn less than $8 an hour. The average
hourly wage is just over $13,  hardly enough to buy  stock and  tool
around in an SUV while babbling on a cell phone . And nearly 14 million
citizens  earn less than half of what passes for a poverty line. Are we
having fun yet?

The “new” economics is based on even more debt than the old, and the
deeper we sink into material obligation, the shallower  our
understanding of the system seems to  become. Regularly applied
mind-rinse  hides the nature of reality the way hair-rinse  obscures the
biological calendar. But cosmetics cannot fool nature; they can only
disguise the pus-pimples and fever- sores of a diseased system  .

Our economy is floating on a  debt bubble the size of the planet
Jupiter, and our  corporate commisars are doing everything they can to
increase that debt   in order that underpaid workers might consume what
they have  over-produced.  This, while hired political flunkies are
doing everything possible to  decrease  competition,  by removing every
defense against monopoly put into place after the  Great Depression.

For every market  investment bonanza  on one side of the global ledger,
there is a   human environmental tragedy on the other . This tradeoff is
not new, but it is becoming more dangerous than ever. Rather than fear
Armageddon due to computer error, we  need to fear a future  under
control of  economic forces that have created  sweat shops and  wealth
gaps more  immoral than those of the 19th century.

Mind management tells us that this system is inevitable, unchangeable
and beneficial to all, despite its record of human and environmental
destruction. But there is an  organic  resistance forming to counter
this synthetic  hoax . Opposition to the World Trade Organization  is
only one aspect of a growing social movement against global domination
by private capital.

Protest against  bio-genetics that produce bigger vegetables or juicier
fruits are  signs of informed democracy, not  irrational  fear, as our
controllers would have us believe. Scientific progress that could
create  healthier, longer life is unlikely to do so under the marketing
rules of corporate capital. It will simply make money for some at the
expense of others, which is all the  system is designed to do.

Corporate science may produce a handful of rich and healthy clones, but
they will be paid for by  brain damaged, body deformed humans of less
financial clout. That is the nature of the debt- based global economy;
to reduce the vast majority to a work force of laboratory victims who
assume the outrageous interest payments on an unprincipled investment
of  their labor, their environment and their lives.

The  year 2000 may cause some computer problems, but a greater threat to
our future is global capitalism and its enormous debt bubble. That
bubble could burst early in the next century.   As we incur even more
debt with  holiday shopping,  corporate capital continues  to
primitively accumulate . For our own good, we need to  challenge  a
system that reduces us to acting like a race of accumulating primitives.
Happy Holidays.

Copyright (c) 1999 by Frank Scott. All rights reserved.

             This text may be used and shared in accordance with the
fair-use provisions of U.S. copyright law, and it may be archived and
redistributed in electronic form, provided that the author is notified
and no fee is charged for access.Archiving, redistribution, or
republication of this text on other terms, in any medium, requires the
consent of the author .

frank scott
http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/~frank
email: [log in to unmask]