CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:43:47 -0800
At times it seems the only critical thinker around here is Chomsky, and he
doesn't participate in this dialogue. NATO is a creature of the USA and
all talk of Euro-Canadian choice in this matter seems naive. Why the hell
didn't Europe do something about all these atrocities before? And who
really cares about NATO other than the massive bureau-indo structure of
military weaponry and dollars, led by the USA?

This is not to say that, say, germany doesn't play a major role in the
creation of this mess in serb-kosovo, but only to identify the major role
player. Giving equal responsibility to europe is like saying Tony Blair is
equal to Bill Clinton. If Clinton stops short, Blair gets a very brown
nose!

Lastly, the Serbs have treated the Kosovo Albanians dreadfully, and there
has been a death toll that was large before the bombing. But it clearly
has gotten worse, much worse, because of the bombing, but even so, the
word genocide is applied rather loosely.Killing people is not genocide,
and when we drop bombs on cities-bases-infrastructure, we kill lots of
people. Is that genocide? When Israelis do ethnic cleansing of
palestinians, is that genocide?

Lets stop acting like tools of the establishment and try to do a little
thinking for ourselves. Maybe we ought to work at stopping all warfare and
killing, rather than selectively labeling certain forms of murder as more
deadly or less civilized than other forms of murder.

frank scott