Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:38:53 -0500

I just adapted a Gumbo recipe to be gluten-free and I thought I would
share it with the list subscribers.  I haven't tasted it yet, but it
smells and looks great in my crockpot.  I'll be eating it tonight
while I watch the Super Bowl!

I found the original recipe at WholeFoods.  The only part I changed
was the way I made the roux.  It seemed to work great.  I've never
had gumbo before, so I'm not expecting the recipe to be "authentic"
for someone from Louisiana.  It's pretty easy and once it is in the
crockpot, you can sit back and relax.

The recipe follows.

All the best,
Rob in Boston

Slow Gumbo (gluten-free)
--------
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon canola oil, for browning chicken
3 tablespoons canola oil, for making roux
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 11/2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons gluten-free flour, (such as sweet rice flour)
1 cup diced organic onion
1 cup diced green pepper
1/2 cup diced celery
1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, gluten-free
2 cups sliced okra
1 bay leaf
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 to 2 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
3/4 lb cooked GF andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
12 pieces raw frozen peeled shrimp
cooked rice

Directions:

First, make sure all ingredients are gluten-free, especially the
sausage, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, and flour.  I use Whole
Foods brand canned diced tomatoes, Emeril's brand Gourmet Smoked
Sausage (Habanero & Green Chili flavor), Imagine brand Free-Range
Chicken Broth and Koda Farms brand Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour
(www.kodafarms.com).

Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a large skillet
over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and add chicken. Brown
the chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove chicken
pieces with a slotted spoon, and place chicken in the slow cooker.
Scrape up any brown bits and also add to the cooker.

To make roux, use a new skillet or quickly and carefully rinse out
the skillet that was used for the chicken.  Make sure skillet is dry.
Add sweet rice flour to skillet and toast at medium heat, stirring
constantly, for about 4 to 5 minutes until it starts to turn yellow
in places. Carefully add remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pan,
stirring constantly to incorporate it with the toasted flour.
Continue stirring with slotted spoon or whisk over medium heat until
flour turns a nice light brown color, about 10 minutes or so.  If you
see black spots, the roux has burned and you will need to start over
again. The mixture is extremely hot, so be careful not to splatter
while stirring. Add the onion, green pepper, and celery, and cook
until the vegetables start to wilt, about 2 minutes. If the pan seems
too hot, turn off the heat while sauteing the vegetables. Gradually
add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and stir until smooth and incorporated.
Pour mixture into the slow cooker, add the okra, bay leaf, tomatoes,
and hot sauce, cover, and turn cooker to low. Cook for 7 to 8 hours,
adding another 1/2 cup chicken broth if necessary. Thirty minutes
before serving, add the sausages and turn cooker to high. Five
minutes before serving, add the shrimp. Serve in bowls over cooked
white or brown rice.

Notes:

This recipe was originally from the Wholefoods Market web site. I
modified it to be gluten-free by changing the way the roux is made.
You can buy sweet rice flour at Asian food markets--it is an
excellent thickener for gravies. If you don't have sweet rice flour
on hand, try using tapioca starch or Bob's Redmill Gluten-Free Baking
Flour. I use Koda Farms brand Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour: http://
www.kodafarms.com/

The original recipe can be found at:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/v_gumbo.html
Copyright 2000–2003. Whole Foods Market IP, L.P.