From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 17:36:43 EDT

Kettle Foods of Salem Oregon (503) 364-0399 makes excellent tasting potato
chips.  They have at least six varieties.  My son cannot have gluten, casein or
egg and some varieties contain one or more of these items.  I spoke to Jim
Green, who is in charge of the manufacturing, and they process the chips just
the way that a celiac would like them to be --

1) All potatoes are fried in pure sunflower oil, prior to adding any flavors,
so there is no issue of cross-contamination
2) In an entirely different portion of the factory, at the start of each day,
the 'no salt' and then the 'lightly salted' varieties are run first, then
packaged and sealed
3) The yogurt, salsa and other flavors are added last
4) All machinery is thoroughly cleaned and inspected prior to shut down at night

Although it is not clear whether it is necessary to worry as much as I do about
cross-contamination, it is good to know that at least this company's processes
appear to satisfy fairly strict criteria.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles