Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:10:05 -0500

I just read the summary by Richard regarding his inquiry about flour on production lines.  I am way behind on my emails, so I didn't get to respond to his inquiry, but I thought it important to tell you all why I totally agree with his last statement that we still need to ask questions.

Three years ago, the owner of a local candy company, Thomas' Fine Chocolates, told me that his chocolate candy ingredients did not contain wheat. When I asked him how he made the filled chocolate Easter eggs, he explained that he always floured his hands (with wheat flour) before rolling the insides into an egg shape so it wouldn't stick to his hands. Then he dipped them in chocolate.  This flour was NOT disclosed on the label.  Remember, this was three years ago, so hopefully this procedure has changed, but I still won't eat his chocolates!

Q.  Will the new labeling law apply to production processes as well and make all of this a nonissue, I hope? (Hooray for the new labeling law!!!!)