From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:18:45 -0800

I'm concerned with possible delayed development in children prior to
diagnosis. Could any of you share if you witnessed this in your Celiac kids
prior to diagnosis and then what the affects were after going on a gluten
free diet.

I was a celiac kid with many social and cognitive problems due to my chronic
diarrhea and frequent absenteeism from school. In the 1950s, I was
misdiagnosed many times and even hospitalized, but no one found the problem
until adulthood. I was an average learner through school and I would say
perhaps an "underachiever". Since diagnosis, my learning skills have
improved greatly and have since earned a BA in geography with honors and
will now go on to get my teaching certificate and MA.

I often wonder if my learning capabilities improved just because I felt good
for the first time in my life or if being gluten free helped physiologically
to learn better, in other words--does my brain work better being gluten
free?

I would love to hear some before and after stories about children in
particular. I have a daughter who sometimes shows symptoms but preliminary
tests have been negative.

Sheryl Tingley
Seattle, WA