From:
twinglez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:31:38 -0500

Hi all, sorry it took me so long to get this summery out, but I was away on a family vacation.

First of all, let me thank all that responded. I really appreciate all your advice and help.

I was given the site for the German Celiac Society homepage of the German Celiac Sociaty (http://www.dzg-online.de).

I was also told that if you go into a Reformhaus, there Natural food stores/health food, and ask for the "gluten Frie (gluten free in german) section. Everyone seems to agree on this. And that the food is cheaper over in Germany then it is here, and it seems everyone agrees that my son will be able to find more desserts and stuff while there. Reformhaus' are located all through out the different regions of Germany.

A lot of people talked to me about the flight to and from Germany. Some said they had no problems with getting "gf" food on the flight, while others said, they only got "partial" gf meals, and others stated they did not even get a meal. So I will take this advice and pack up some food for my son to eat on the plane ride over, and make sure I have NON perashable foods, for him to keep for the flight home, and instruct my parents to pick up some other foods also.

Several people also advised that some bakeries over in Europe do make "gf" products right in their bakeries. So I will have my son look into this on his trip. But I will also advise him to choose wisely, to be careful of crosscontamination.

I was advised, that honey is gf over in Germany, as it is restricted by the government to remain natural, and NOTHING can be added to it.

We were also told to watch for things like candy that are gf here in America, but may or may not be over in Germany. So I will work on reading lables with my son. He is pretty good at it now, but will stress the importance of it while he is away. And go with the old, if in doubt, leave it out.

I was advised to print out the german/english language card, for resturants, that is written in both english and german, explaining celiac, how foods should be prepared, and which foods should be avoided. It is in the book, against the grains, but there is also a copy of it, on the german web site I stated above. (at least it was the last time I looked at it..we all know how web pages change)

I appreciate everyones help on this.
I do have all the emails saved, that everyone sent me. If anyone has any more questions, or would like more information, please do not hesitate to email me.

God Bless,

Kim