From:
Shawna Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawna Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:09:28 -0400

My request was for recommendations of the best lab for blood tests. I sent a summary already, but I'm resending because I received another reply (which I have listed first here).

-One person said Immunosciences Labs, and wrote, "They test for "gluten"/gluteomorphins as well as gliadin.  These are important as some people have gluteomorphins/gluteomorphin antibodies and NOT antigliadin antibodies or they may either or both.  Immunosciences also runs each test 3 times, for IgA, IgG and IgM, not just IgA.  Some labs just test for tTG-IgA.  Immunosciences tests for tTG IgA, IgG and IgM.  They also test for AGA-tTG/IgA, IgG, and IgM. Immunosciences does blood testing.  Enterolab does a shorter panel just on AGA(gliadin) and tTG but in stool, which is an earlier marker.  Alcat does another type of test that measures the reactions of white blood cells when exposed to any particular substance, such as swelling, granulation, etc.  This lab tests gluten and gliadin also. These labs are in the labs list on the testing page of www.glutensensitivity.net."

-Three people said Enterolab.

-One person said Enterolab for their stool testing

-One person said Enterolab for gene testing & stool testing, but not for blood tests

-Two people said Prometheus

-Another person said the University of Chicago CD Program only uses Prometheus or The Mayo Clinic Labs.
You can get a free test kit from Prometheus by calling 1-888-423-5227.  That way the local lab should be mandated to send the blood off correctly.

-The following web sites were given for recommendations of labs:

www.glutensensitivity.net
www.celiac.com

-One person said that most all labs (if their given the correct info) can do the celiac panels, but there are better labs for the genetic testing.

-One person questioned how important it was to use experienced labs.

As an aside, I asked this question to a doctor who sees many celiac patients. His reply was that there are a number of good labs including the University of Maryland, Mayo Clinic and Prometheus, to name a few.

*******
*******