Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 09:30:51 -0500

On Fri, 25 Nov 1994 12:26:00 EST, Barbara Crooker asked:

>Can anyone on the celiac list answer the following questions:

>1.  What foods contain casein?  Some information says all dairy contains
>casein; some says that milk has casein and cream doesn't(making butter,
>whipping cream, etc. ok)--does anyone have a definitive answer?

Casein is the protein in milk.  If butter or whipping cream is the fat from
milk with all whey removed (where the protein resides) then there would be no
casein in the product.  However I think you would be best to avoid these
products as every bit of whey might in reality not have been removed.  My son
cannot tolerate casein...for the same reasons as Lisa's son...and reactions
can occur molecule by molecule or so it seems.

>2.  Has anyone found a cheese substitute that doesn't have soy?  I thought
>almond cheez would do it, but it has casein.

We've given up on finding a good cheese substitute and just prepare meals
that don't require this.  If you find one other than soymage I would be happy
to hear about it.

>3.  Are ANY fast foods acceptable on a gluten-free/casein-free diet???
>(Besides the aforementioned Burger King Fries)

Rax has a salad bar with enough stuff on it to make a cheese free taco salad
(using the refried beans...I haven't risked the meat because I haven't
investigated the seasoning mixture).  Taco Bell will make tacos with meat and
lettuce only....a six-pack of those and my boy is happy (although my car
doesn't like it much).  Taco Bell is good because you can watch them make it
and tell them to be very careful to not get any cheese mixed in.

Several parents I know have told me that not getting to grab supper at the
local fast food place has been the most diffucult adjustment they've had to
make for their children's diet.  I really don't think this is such a big
problem because I have 4 children and cook all the time anyway.  I can't
afford fast food!

>4.  Are there any seasonings that can substitute for soy sauce?

I have a little window herb garden and harvest fresh herbs year round.  A
little salt and some chopped fresh herbs....heaven.  If your taste-buds seek
a thrill...nothing can beat fresh herbs.