From:
Gal Kaminka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:31:58 IDT

Mitchell Bellman ([log in to unmask]) wrote on Mon, 24 Apr 1995:
> I used to live in Israel.  It is quite remarkable that they would even
> consider passing such a law.  Anyone who lived in Israel would think
> it would be the last place to pass such a law.  Israelis speak Hebrew,
> immigrants learn the language and they don't make allowances for the
> few people who don't.  If the government was so concerned about saving
> a soul perhaps they would give out the occasionnal speeding ticket and
> try to make the roads safer.  And finally, orthodox Jews already know
> about which products are kosher for passover.  They don't eat anything
> during passover unless it has been approved and stamped "kosher for
> passover".

Sorry - but I had to intervene.  I am an Israeli, living in Israel.  I would
like to express my resentment at opinions concerning Israel which are
expressed above.  This is a celiac list.  Your opinions concerning Israel's
priorities, state of the nation, social issues, right-to-exist, politics, etc.
are not really relevant to this group, and I resent the 'plugging' of personal
views in a place where they don't belong.  If you want to speak about the new
law (which I think we all agree is a good thing) then this is the place to do
so.  If you want to plug your views about the government not handling road
accidents and not caring about human lives, or Israelis not caring about
immigrants, or comment about "anyone who lived in Israel" and what he/she may
think about the possiblity of such a law, please use the proper forums.  I
personally don't agree with your view of Israel, and resent your blatant
generalization ("anyone who lived in Israel" includes me) but this is not the
proper place to discuss these issues.  If you'd like to continue this
discussion, let's take it to private e-mail.

On a lighter note, I must say that I have heard of the new law, but don't
know the exact details (i.e. when does it become effective, what ingridients
will be considered gluten-containing, etc.)  As a memeber of the Israeli
celiac disease organization, I'll try to find out more.  Hopefully, other
countries in the world will follow this example.  I must say that I
personally find the issues raised and discussed in this mailing list very
interesting and informative.  Let's continue with this great thing that
we have here!

Gal Kaminka