Karen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 May 2003 09:30:00 -0500

These are the results I received to inquiry for gf/corn free/rice free
extrusion pasta machine recipes.

Thanks for your help!  Now I have something to start with!

If you try any of these, please post your results- there are many of us
needing advice!

Blessings,
Karen
Lamplight Hill educational resources
www.lamplighthill.com
Email me to join our monthly specials email list!
The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not
protect you
_________

I don't have a good recipe either, but years ago when I was a kid, my mom
made some pasta for me with bean flour and it had such a wonderful
flavor. It has a nice stick-together quality that might be similar to a
glutaneous flour. I know she added eggs too. I know she didn't have an
extrusion machine, which could make quite a difference. She rolled hers
out with a rolling pin and cut them. I have some store-bought pasta made
with quinoa flour that is gf and tastes great. I know you can buy the
flour too. It might be a good option for a pasta recipe. I just wish I
had a recipe to offer. I'm not a great experimentor like my mother is,
but if you are, maybe you could get some ideas from a flour recipe and
try some things.
_________________
Hi, I don't have a recipe, but I talked to a lady in my area who has
converted all of her recipes to gf, and she said she and her daughter
tried and tried everything they could think of to make good pasta using
a pasta machine.  What she said they found out was that they could never
make suitable pasta using a machine.  That was her experience.  Maybe
that's why you haven't gotten any recipes.
_____________________
This is the recipe I developed years ago when only corn pasta was
available, also before xanthan gum was widely available.

You might be able to substitute the Poconos cream of buckweat for cream
of rice, sorghum for the rice flour.  Not sure how it would make in a
pasta machine.  Egg while would give it a better consistency that egg
yolks--probably the difference between noodles & pasta.

by Bev in Milwaukee

"Real Food" Noodles
Lieven
1/2 c. Cream of Rice cereal
1/4 c. oriental rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
   2 large eggs
   1 Tbs. vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients together.  Stir in eggs & oil.  Mix well.  Cover w/
plastic wrap & let set for 15 min.  Divide dough in 2-3 parts.  Roll
between a sheet of waxed paper & a sheet of plastic wrap.  Use potato
starch to keep dough from sticking.  Roll very thin. Cut w/ a knife or
pizza cutter for noodles-wide or narrow.  Use immediately or dry at room
temp for several hours, then freeze.  Cook in boiling water for 3-5 min,
until done.  Drain & rinse.  Use immediately or put in casserole.   Makes
2-3 cups cooked noodles.  Recipe can be doubled.

i have done extensive research on gluten free pasta recipes...and few if
not only one ive seen doesnt have rice in it..i just found the one i have
seen before doing ao quick google search..here it is..i tried it once by
hand and was not impressed with it but perhaps if you are extruding it
will turn out better..also i did not use the walnut oil which im sure
would give it a better flavor...anyway im sure the reason you are not
getting alot of response is because there isnt too much out there to
respond with...

Recipe: Basic Gluten-Free Amaranth Pasta. (5/25)

** I'm assuming that you know the basicsof pasta making and am only
giving youingredients and amounts.  The first amountgiven for each
ingredient is if you're usinga pasta roller, the amount given in
parenthesesare used if you are extruding the pasta.
Amaranth Pasta, Basic Gluten-Free
2/3 cup (1 cup) amaranth flour
1/3 cup (1/4 cup) tapioca flour
1 (1) egg
1 (1) tablespoon vegetable or walnut oil (optional)
1-2 tablespoons (1-2 T) water, if and as needed
This pasta has a wonderful nutty flavor,enhanced even more if walnut oil
is used.It goes well with any sauce.  It rolls and extrudes nicely.

I have used the four flour blend (Bob's Red Mill and Bette Hagman's blend
which I believe are the same) following the recipe with the machine and
adding a teaspoon of xanthan gum and it worked very well.

_______

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!