From:
Emily Frigo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emily Frigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:12:22 -0400

Hi,
  I apologize that this took me so long to get this summary posted!
When I last wrote, I was in the process of moving, and I just got my
phone line connected this week.  It has been hectic moving and
starting a new job, but I am settling in.

 ***
We have a Support Group in Grand Rapids, MI.  It's called, West MI
Celiac Support Group.

We meet every month on the third Monday of each month at 7 PM, Kent
Community Hospital, Spectrum Campus, 750 Fuller, NE,  get off the
Fuller Exit of the Ford Freeway and turn north.  The Hospital is right
there.

Park in front, go in the front door, pass the desk to the first
hallway and turn right to the rec. room, and there we are!

We are all Celiac and we help each other.  There will be information
you can have and questions are answered.
**

In Grand Rapids, all Meijer Stores have gluten free food in special
areas.  Sometimes they are scattered throughout the stores.  Like
pancake mixes (Bob's Red Mill) will be with the pancake mixes.  The
same with flour, etc.

Some of the other stores carry gluten free foods, like Spartan Store
and Family Food Stores.
So you don't have to go to the Health Food Stores, unless you want to.

The restaurant that I use most is, Outback, because it has a gluten
free menu.  Just ask for it.

All in all, Grand Rapids is a nice place to live, if you have celiac
disease.  I have been biospy diagnosed for 16 years and I am in good
health.

My doctor is Dr. Taru Patel, MD located on the east Beltline, phone
364-7015.  She is an Internist and knows Celiac Disease.

Another doctor is a doctor, who is the adviser for our group is:  Gary
N. Humphries, MD
Located at 1900 Wealthy, SE, Suite 150, Phone: 459-3159.  Dr.
Humphries has Celiac Disease himself.

**
 I have a few suggestions for you regarding your transition to the GR
area.  1)restaurants, I don't frequent many restaurants, but have been
pleased at Don Pablos and Judsons Steakhouse 2) I am not familiar with
a GF bakery in the GR area-there is a woman that brings home made GF
baked goods to the Farmers Market, but I haven't tried anything, as
I'm not conviced it is baked in a commericial kitchen. Celiac
Specialities is on the east side of the state and many of my friends
like to order from there (I haven't ordered anything from there) 3)
physician, I go to Dr Paul Farr, gastroenterologist (also president of
the Michigan Medical Society)  I like him alot, he diagnosed me.  4)
grocery stores,  My personal favorite is Forest Hills Foods, on
Cascade Road.  It is a neighborhood grocery store, but carries alot of
GF food.  The prices are less expensive than the health food stores.
For the items that Forest Hills doesn't carry, I go to Harvest Health
Store.

Here are some suggestions for starters:

Grocery

Meijer has some gluten free products

There is also a health food store, but we have not found it yet.

In Granville, there is a gourmet grocery store that has gluten free beer.

Bakery:

Celiac Specialties in  Chesterfield, Michigan (north of Detroit)
a three hour drive which is well worth the trip
call ahead
I think they still ship

Restaurants:

Carrabas
Outback
***

Meijer's Food Store is our big change food store.  The one on Knapp NE
is where I shop and they have a good selection of gluten/wheat free
products.  They do not have bread or hamburg buns.  Foprst Hills Food
Srore in the SE end, also has a good selection and they do have frozen
bread, buns, etc.  The store is more expensive on most things but not
much different than on packaged food for celiac.  I have tried a
couple of Health Food Srores but find they are quite expensive and not
real close to me.

***
I live in Holland, MI - about 20 miles from Grand Rapids.  Which side
of Grand Rapids are you moving to and what's bringing you here?

My favorite health food store is:

http://www.harvesthealthfoods.com/

They carry a wide selection of gluten free products.

My favorite place to eat (if I can afford it is):

http://www.sanchezbistro.com/Home.htm

We haven't eaten there in a long time but they were very knowledgeable
about celiac.

I believe there is a local support group in Grand Rapids as well.  I
am NOT a diagnosed celiac.  I have fibromyalgia and eat gluten-free to
help control my pain levels.
***

I keep an extensive list of gluten free places that people eat at
while traveling.  I hope this helps.

Timber Inn
TGI Friday's
Big Old Building