From:
Emily Frigo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emily Frigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:25:16 -0400

Here is part 2:
**
Sorry -- The street address I sent you for the W.Michigan Celiac
Support Group meeting was incorrect -- it should be = Kent Community
Hospital, 750 FULLER (not Fulton - that's a different street in GR).

**

One of the main hospitals downtown (off Wealthy, I can't remember the
name, but it's one of the main ones) had an alternative medicine
center (maybe the Wegge center or something?) thatn I didn't really
use much, but may be a possibility for you.

There is a great, albeit small, healthfood store called Harvest
Health. There were 2 locations (one near East GR) and I think one near
Coopersville now. They had some good GF selections in dry foods,
bakery, and frozen and a big tea selection.

If you are interested in gyms, there were a few good ones toward the
east of the city (one was the MAC but their sister club, under a
different name) was better.

Sorry I can't be more specific--I just can't remember much else.

I never did find a GF restaurant but found places fairly accommodating.

Also, don't forget that during early spring, throughout the summer,
and late fall you can get INCREDIBLE fresh produce for cheap. At the
GR farmers market--again, can't remember the address, I got two pints
of raspberries for $5 quite regularly and the Kale, Zuccini, etc. was
all good.

**
While I no longer live in Michigan, I'm from Kalamazoo, and might be
able to help.  Actually, I have NO info about GR, only Kalamazoo.

Sawall Health Foods on Oakland Drive is a great GF resource, with an
entire (small) section devoted to GF foods.  Owned by the same folks,
right next door is a restaurant called Oakwood Bistro; last time I
went in there wasn't anything specifically GF on the menu, but they
offered to make me a GF pizza!  Be sure to talk to a manager or one of
the owners.

Actually, that's the best I can do.  I haven't lived in Michigan since
my diagnosis last December (I've lived in LA the last 1.5 years).

**
Below is info on the celiac support group in GR. My mother-in-law
lives in GR and was recently diagnosed with celiac so I will pass on
your e-mail to her and another woman, Paige, who lives in GR and has
celiac.  A word of caution, Paige found the support group a bit heavy
handed.  I don't believe my m-i-l has been to it.  My mil has found
gluten free groceries at Meijer's (a large chain and pre-curser to
Super Kmart type of stores).  Some of the gf friendly chains are in
GR: Outback Steakhouse, Bonefish Grill, Carrabba's Italian Grill.  I'm
sure the locals will be able to share more with you.

I found this site by accident, have not been, but great looking site
for a bakery in East Lansing Michigan, about 45 min to an hour east of
GR.  www.apieceocake.com

Its a beautiful area and so close to Lake Michigan!
Alison, OH

Group: West Michigan Celiac Support Group
City: Grand Rapids
Contacts:     Alan Fry        1855 Union Ave. SE        Grand Rapids,
MI  49507        616-245-8374     Jude Stover        235 Norwood Ave.
SE        Grand Rapids, MI  49506        616-459-6993     Mitzi
Berkhout        753 Parkway Dr. NE        Grand Rapids, MI  49505
  616-363-5749  Internet:     Susan DeVries,
[log in to unmask]     Mitzi Berkhout, [log in to unmask]
Rosalynn Hausman, [log in to unmask]     Jill Kamps, [log in to unmask]
Updated: 28 Oct 2001

**
GI- Dr. Steven Crane - 310 Lafayette 752-6525 (Attached to St. Marys's
Hospital). Heis very aware of celiac disease and vey understanding.

Grocery Store- Meijer - All Carry gf items - largest selection at
Knapp Corner (corner of East Beltline & Knapp NE)
Nutrition Plus - Two locations - alpine (NW) East Beltline (SE- 28th
St & Beltline) Usually more expensice though than Meijer.
Harvest Health - 3 Locations - Eatern Ave SE - Hudsonville- Cascade -
No GF Bakery as of yet.
I personally have not has much success in the dining out category.
Only one I know has a gF menu is Outback.
There is a celiac support group[ that meets at Kent Community Hospital
the 3rd Monday of every month at 7:00 PM - great group of folks with
lots of experience to share.
If you would like to call me I would be willing to meet with you and
show you where these locations are or give you directions  to them -
whichever you would prefer.

**

Welcome in advance!  First of all, we have a great celiac support
group in Grand Rapids -- meetings are the third monday of every month
at 7:00pm, at Kent Community Hospital, 750 Fulton Street NE, Grand
Rapids (just north of the intersection of Fulton and Michigan) - first
floor meeting room (ask at the reception desk).  I'm forwarding your
email to the president, Nancy, at [log in to unmask] , and
you can contact her directly too.  Let me know if you would like me to
add your email address to the mailing list for our meeting notices.

I highly recommend my own gastroenterologist, Dr. Steven Crane, with
Grand River Gastroenterology, 310 Lafayette St Suite #400, Grand
Rapids, MI 49503, (616)752-6525.  The whole office understands celiac
well.  My dentist is also celiac-literate and very careful -- Dr.
Sharon Borocchi DDS, 2300 Three Mile Road NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
(616)365-8699.  I'm sure if you check with other support group members
they can also suggest others.

Your best bet for regular supermarkets carrying gluten-free foods are
the Meijer stores located in various parts of town -- look for a
special gluten-free section.  There are also several health food
stores that carry large selections, especially Nutrition Plus (2
locations) and Harvest Health (3 locations). Check the local phone
book for the ones closest to you.  Nutrition Plus is good about
special orders, too.