From:
"Robert F. Eyerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:37:09 -0500

Dear Listmembers, I felt that I just had to make another
response on this topic.  I have read on the list, have heard
from my celiac friends, and have had people post me
about the problems that they have with friends and
relatives concerning their diets and bringing their own
food, etc.  I just had one yesterday where someone
is dreading being with the relatives at the holidays,
as they hassle her about bring her own food!
I also heard from someone whose own grandma
wouldn't let her cook her GF stuff in her kitchen for
Thanksgiving.

  Okay, I suggested the other day that people take
their own stuff to be safe, just say that they have food
allergies and bring something to share, if possible.
Now, it seems like with some people we have to
take the tough approach.  Ask these offending people
if they would urge a diabetic to eat a plate of cookies,
or urge an alcoholic to have a drink.  Also, why not
have one of those gross pictures of damaged villi
in your purse or pocket to show them what can
happen to you?  I just don't understand this, as I
haven't had this problem, but I sympathize with
those who have.  If anyone else can think of a
tough approach to take with "Grandma" and the
gang for the holidays, let me know and I'll
summarize.  Karen from Central NY, US