From:
Arthur Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 23:37:58 -0500

Dear List-mates:

I have read several conflicting items on the list regarding Honey-Baked
Hams.  Can we get some definitive information?  This is what I have heard:

1. The hams are prepared with wheat gluten and are not safe.

2. The hams used to be prepared with wheat flour in the glaze, but that
company changed its formulation after November 1, 2007. Reportedly, the
company did not want to make changes its website until it was certain that
all hams prepared before November 1 were gone, as some stores might have
frozen hams from before the 11/1/07 reformulation. Therefore, newly produced
hams are safe for celiac patients.

3. Today, I personally went to buy a Honey-Baked Ham at their store on South
Dixie Highway in Miami, Florida. (It is 12/1/07). The lady behind the
counter assured me that the ham she was offering to me was made today. The
ingredient list says that the ham is prepared with wheat flour.

Whether the ingredient list is based on current formulations or not is
unknown. Whether the company has changed its formulation is unknown.

Obviously, the lady at the store is only using the product that Honey Baked
Ham sends her to glaze the hams it wants the store to sell. She knew
absolutely nothing about the gluten issue. Clearly the company has failed to
inform its employees about the issue.

Can someone get definitive information from Honey-Baked Ham Company
regarding this issue of utmost importance to members of this list and their
families?

My son was diagnosed in July '05. We have lived GF since then. Thanks for
your time and attention to this matter.

Happy Holiday Season to you all.

Arthur Spiegel.