From:
Anthony Shick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Shick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:15:08 +0800

Thanks to everyone who sent recipes after my request for rolled sugar
cookies.  Here is a summary of what I received.

Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 + 1/2 c white rice flour
1/2 teas cream of tartar
1/2 teas baking soda
1 + 1/2 teas xanthan (or guar) gum
1/8 teas salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teas vanilla (or any GF flavor)
1 egg - Cold

Combine rice flour, cream of tartar, soda, gum, and salt.  Mix well.
Cut in butter until mixture is in crumbs the size of peas.  In small
bowl beat sugar, egg and vanilla together.  Add this mixture to the dry
ingredients and mix until dough pulls away from the sides.  Form into a
flat ball - wrap well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Using FREEZER PAPER, dusted with rice flour. sprinkle dough with flour
and roll 1/4" thick and cut out shapes as desired.
Bake at 350* for 12 minutes(+/-)  Cool on wire rack.
PLEASE! Follow ALL of the directions to a tee.  If you substitute, for
example. wax paper for freezer paper. you will have problems.
I always make a double batch.
__________________________
ROLLED SUGAR COOKIES   (Lifeline Fall 1994)

1 1/2 c. white rice flour     1/2 c.cold butter or margarine
1/2 tsp cream of tartar       1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda           1/2 tsp GF vanilla, or
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum             lemon or almond flavoring
1/8 tsp salt                  1 egg cold
additional sugar decorating (optional)

Combine the rice flour, cream of tartar, soda, xanthan gum
and salt.  Mix very well.  Cut in the butter or margarine,
until the mixture is in crumbs about the size of peas.  In a
small bowl, beat the egg, vanilla, and sugar together.  Mix
the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.  (I
start with a spoon and them use my hands.)  Form into a flat
ball shape and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Roll out 1/4" thick
of thinner if desired.  (I dusted with rice flour to
facilitate rolling and rolled between plastic wrap.) Cut
into shapes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until the
cookie is a light brown.  Loosen and cool until firm, move
to a wire rack.  Continue until all dough is used.  Makes
about three dozen.  (For rice flour I substituted 1 1/2 c.
Bette Hagman's GF flour mix.  See ** corn bread recipe.

__________________________________

    Cut Out Cookies
2 lbs GF flour                            2 cups sugar
1 lb  butter  (Not oleo)               4 eggs, separated (use yolks
only)
1/2 pint sour cream                   1 cup finely ground nuts
grated lemon rind

Cream shortening thoroughly.  Add sugar gradually.  Cream together until
light and fluffy.  Add beaten yolks and lemon rind.  Add nuts.  Add
flour and sour cream alternately, mixing well.  The final mixing can be
done with your hands.
Roll on floured board.  Cut into desired shapes.  Bake at 375 for about
14 minutes.   Start checking at 10 minutes.  Watch carefully, depending
on the type of cookie sheet you are using.  Some brown more readily than
others.

4 cups flour equal 1 lb.  Fill measuring cup level to 1 cup, filling
lightly with spoon.   This recipe was made for regular flour, but I use
it with my own GF
flour mix.  You may have to add a little flour as you mix.  They will
also absorb more flour as you roll the dough.

This is an old German recipe.  I love the cookies.  You can sprinkle
them with colored sugars before baking or make icing and decorate them
after baking.  You can also sprinkle powdered sugar on them while still
warm.

Recipe can be cut in half.  Makes a lot of cookies.  Sometimes I mix all
the ingredients except flour and make about half of them with regular
flour and the other half with GF flour.  I think you will say that they
are the best tasting cutouts you have ever eaten.  (That is, if you are
not allergic to any of the ingredients.)   Good Luck and enjoy!
Everyone loves these cookies.

___________________________
One of the dads in our group make sugar cookies w/ the GF Pantry mix.
He divided the dough into thirds & colors one pink, one green & leaves
the third plain.  He then rolls out the dough & cuts them into large ~2
1/2"circles. He then takes smaller cutters & cut shapes--bells, hearts,
trees...out of the center & carefully lifts them out & swaps them for a
similar shape of a different color.  Looks just like those slice & bake
cookies!
go to  www.celiac.com  click through to recipes and then cookies.
I have made both the sugar cookies and the 2nd gingerbread cookies. be
sure to put dough between plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour
before trying to cut. after out of oven, keep on sheet a minute or 2
before trying to take off.
you can decorate with Duncan Hines frosting. my kids love them