From:
Kelly Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:44:43 -0600

Hi List:

Thanks for all the replies.  Here is what "you" had to say about
digestive enzymes:

...I take Peptidase by Apothecure. They have a Web site: apothecure.com.
My physician recommended these enzymes, and I have happily gained 9
pounds on them. (I was down to 92 pounds).

...I take digestive enzymes and never had a problem with them..  The
brand is Prevail 1-800-248-8085 It says on the label free of gluten.

...I have been taking "Creon" for the past 10 - 12 years.

...I believe that digestive enzymes are one the most important things a
Celiac person can do, other than avoiding gluten intake.  Because Celiacs
are prone to having digestive problems of many kinds, it is imperative to
make sure that we are breaking down proteins properly.  If proteins are
not broken down by the necessary enzymatic response, polypeptides,
macro-molecules of proteins can then be released into the system through
intestinal permeability (Leaky Gut syndrome).  Both of these
aforementioned scenarios are very common among Celiacs.  Once these
macro-molecules are in the bloodstream, there are many different
manifesting disease states depending upon a particular persons
bio-chemical predisposition.  I was actually diagnosed as having bipolar
disorder as a result of chemicals that pass the blood-brain barrier and
interact with neurotransmitters, this also is a well documented scenario
for the Celiac.

There is a particular member of this group, who I believe is one of the
founders of the listserve, Don Wiss who has an extensive database of
information that can be accessed from his web site:
www.panix.com/~donwiss The best in my opinion is called GNC Preventive
Nutrition, Multi-Enzyme Formula, Capsules.  Note* it says no gluten on
the bottle!!

...  I have been taking "Multi-Enzyme" by The Vitamin Shoppe.  I do not
take them regularly, but I try to take them after a heavy meal, or when I
suspect I may have eaten a contaminated product.  I do not get a reaction
to them (they are labeled as gluten-free), but then again, I can not be
sure that they really help.

...I don't think it's a digestive enzyme, but I take Acidophilus.  This
is a "good bacteria" I think.  It seems to do wonders for me.

...I have occasionally been taking papaya enzymes for about 2 years.
recently I switched to a brand called 'natural factors" it has papain and
amylase, as well as bromelain.  label reads contains no gluten.  I
recommend it.

...I have used Freeda's Parvenzymes for years.  I always carry a bottle
of them with me.  I chew on a couple after I eat and it makes digesting
much easier.

I had one response whereby someone stated: "I went through that and it
didn't do any good".

Thanks for all the responses.  It seems that many of you feel that
digestive enzymes are important!

Kelly