From:
Mara Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:31:54 EST

Dear Friends,
I asked about eating gf in the Bar Harbor area and the Otter Creek Inn.

*Thank you* for the many kind replies. We are very excited about our
vacation, and now I am more confident about being comfortable. We will be
doing a lot of trail riding, and it is awful to get sick on the trail. With
all the positive replies I received, this must surely be one of the great
vacation destinations for celiacs!
******************
Here are suggestions for restaurants and food shopping:

...we had something called "lobster stew" which is not thickened or
spiced...they said it had nothing but lobster, milk, cream, butter, salt and
pepper.

note:  I wish I had gotten up early one morning to see the sunrise on
Cadillac Mountain. I did get sick on this vacation, so please be careful.

http://www.acadiatours.com
http://www.barharbor.com

The food [in the area] is mostly fresh fish and veggies.  My B&B happily
supplied me a GF breakfast every day.

...several health food stores there.  You will see Brewer, Maine, just before
getting into Bangor... shopping mall on your right traveling along the
route... wonderful nutrition center called Natural Living Center at 421
Wilson Street.

Nakorn Thai in Bar Harbor (you have to look for it; it's on a back street) is
good.  There's a Mexican restaurant accross the street, too. And Lobster is
GF! [Hooray!]
The Shop'nSave in Ellsworth (in the mall, near the rte1/rte3 split on the way
to MDI) has a decent selection of foods, including some cereals.

In Bar Harbor, there is a very good health food store which carries quite a
lot of gf breads and supplies:

Alternative Natural Food Market
99 Main Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Tel. 207-288-5271

In Ellsworth (before you get to Mt. Desert Island), another very good health
food store:

John Edward's Natural Foods
158 Main Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605
Tel. 800-471-0350 or 207-667-9377

I've checked out the health food store in Southwest Harbor... don't even
bother stopping there unless your are looking for vitamins and nutritional
supplements (pills/powders, etc.).  Very little "real" food.

...you can find many restaurants to accommodate a gf diet.  If you enjoy
seafood, almost any restaurant usually has a lobster dinner available -
boiled lobster, baked/mashed potato, corn on the cob w/butter, along with
steamed clams - just pass on the cole slaw, unless it is made with gf
mayonnaise.  For more information on restaurants and other information in the
Bar Harbor/Acadia area, check out these websites:
Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce:  http://www.barharborinfo.com/
Ellsworth Chamber of Commerce:  http://w2.downeast.net/eacc/

...bed & breakfast inn that comes very highly recommended by a woman in our
Portland support group. The hostess, Regina Ploucquet, is quite knowledgeable
about the gluten-free diet and very willing to accommodate your needs:

West of Eden
P.O. Box 65
Route 102 & Kellytown Road
Seal Cove, ME 04674
Phone:207-244-9695
email: [log in to unmask]

The Bangor, Maine support group may have additional information
available.  You may find contact information at:
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/groups/grpus-me.html#Contacts

There is a small health food store in downtown Bar Harbor adjacent to the
common...sells gluten free bread and flours.

The Bar Harbor Inn has a great restaurant, but very expensive.  The Cottage
street restaurant is also excellent. The dockside across from the Cottage St.
restaurant is good for a quick meal...the sauteed lobster is outstanding.
They also have a place in Northeast Harbor.

[No replies about Otter Creek Inn.]