From:
Christina G <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christina G <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:15:21 -0600

Guacamole is a favorite - ripe avocados mashed with lime juice and seasoning, a little olive oil. I also make tapenades from olives - process this spread in a processor - add olives, garlic, roasted peppers, lemon juice, olive oil, pine nuts or walnuts, or even pecans - makes a great spread for rice crackers. An unexpected, perennial favorite is my Cape Cod Tuna Spread - I make tuna salad, add in McCormick mild curry powder, toasted almond slivers and dried cranberries - always a hit.

**********
Smoked Salmon Mousse on Cucumbers
8 ozs. cream cheese
3 ozs. smoked salmon
2 Tblsp. coarsely chopped red onion
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 English cucumbers sliced into 1/4" rounds
Mix all ingredients except the cucumber in a food processor until smooth.
Put mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe onto cucumber rounds.

PESTO GOAT CHEESE SPREAD
4 oz soft mild goat cheese at room temperature
2 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1/4 cup pesto
Stir together all ingredients with salt and pepper to taste until smooth.

**********

You could do a homemade flavored mayonnaise, such as aioli. Here's the Joy of Cooking recipe (there are also good ones at <www.epicurious.com>:

Can be done by hand, in a food processor, or with a stand mixer.With all ingredients at room temperature (this is VITAL).

Skin and chop finely 4 garlic cloves.
Beat in 2 egg yolks and 1/8 tsp salt.
Add slowly, beating constantly, 1 cup olive oil.
As the sauce thickens, beat in 1/2 tsp cold water and 1 tsp lemon juice.
Makes 1 cup.

**********

Best Foods Mayonnaise is gf (I think they sell it under the Hellman's name in certain parts of the country) and I use it to make all my salad dressings and dips. If you want it to be a smoother consistency, add a little milk (more for dressing). I add whatever spices  I like, and even chopped pickles, onions, blue cheese, etc.  It's delicious and easy!

**********

You could make a ranch dip, using sour cream (or heavy cream blended with cream cheese), minced carrot/onion/celery/bell pepper (any or all), fresh or dried herbs, a touch of sugar, salt & pepper.

**********

I am not sure what CFSF stands for but my wife got an onion dip from www.glutino.com that was gluten free. They are in Canada so two days may not be enough time...

**********

Last time I checked the manufacturers of Alouette Light Garlic and Herbs spreadable cheese assured me that their product was gf...check before you buy...their phone # is 717-355-8503.

**********

SOUTHWESTERN BLACK BEAN DIP

1 1/2 cups dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
8 cups water, plus 1/4 cup
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped, reserving about 1 teaspoon for garnish
1 small red onion, finely chopped, reserving about 1 teaspoon for garnish
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
1 plum tomato, finely chopped
1 small red chile, finely chopped
Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Dollop sour cream, for garnish
Serving Suggestion: Tortilla chips

In a large saucepan, let the beans soak in enough cold water to cover for 1 hour and drain. Return the beans to the pan with the 8 cups of water and garlic. Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add the pepper, onion, and cumin and cook, stirring, until softened. Drain the beans and reserve 1/2 cup of them. Add the remaining beans to the pepper mixture with the remaining 1/4 cup water, and simmer, covered, until very tender, about 15 minutes. In a food processor, blend bean mixture with the vinegar and pulse until well combined but not pureed smooth. Season the dip with salt, pepper, and vinegar. Transfer to a serving bowl, and stir in the reserved 1/2 cup beans. Let the dip cool to room temperature or chill. When to serve, garnish the dip with the reserved bell pepper, onion, tomato, chile, cilantro leaves, and sour cream. Serve with the tortilla chips. Cook's Note: This dip may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.