From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:06:27 -0500

Hi all,
My original question asked about the safety of taking melatonin if one has an autoimmune disorder such as celiac disease.  The research I did revealed that melatonin is thought to strengthen the immune system.  I don't know if it is counter indicated with celiac or not.  The label on the melatonin bottle I have says to check with your doctor before taking if you have an autoimmune disorder.  Another bottle of melatonin simply stated not to take it if there is an autoimmune disease present.

I called my endocrinologist because he is my favorite doctor and none of my doctors know much about melatonin.  He said to go ahead and take the melatonin even with celiac.

Most of the replies i received simply said to make sure it is gf first ... and that they use it with no problem.  One person responded that it made her tingle all over.  Finally, I received one informative response that I will paste below:

I have the book Stay Young the Melatonin Way. This book extolls the benefits of melatonin for everything from sleep disorders to aging. It says it, "helps regulate the complex components of the immune system" p51.
But it goes on to say that relationship between melatonin and MS and Parkinson's disease is "confusing and at times contradictory." It said that melatonin taken by AIDS patients in the morning was counter indicated. I suspect the company is just covering themselves for these cases.
My daughter took melatonin for years before she was diagnosed as having celiac. I saw no complications with melatonin. She doesn't need it now. (I am not sure going GF directly impacted her need. She is so much more active now that she is tired when she goes to bed.)

That's all folks.  I still don't know whether celiacs should take it or not, especially since we are at a higher risk for other autoimmune disorders.  Can any of the doctors on the list shed some light on this?  Dr. Holland?

Lori