C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ehthiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:12:40 -0500
Hello Peter,
Here's thoughts from an OT who has worked with massage therapists.  One $75
is expensive for massage therapy in Florida OT and PT are not allowed to do
massage therapy but, we do manual therapy, it looks similar but trust it
works differently and as an OT I use it before or during functional
activities.  There are advantages to different types of massage therapy.  It
won't help active Range of motion of the joints but, it does help with pain
management and keeping the joints moving passively through range of motion.
Not all massage therapists have the training to work with someone with
specific medical conditions.  They get specific extra training and
certification in manual techniques such myofascial release and craniosacral
work and body work.
They need to be certified and would not be able to work on your daughters
medical condition without a treatment plan from your doctor.  In most states
they are not allowed to make medical decisions without the doctors approval.
I would be very careful about allowing students to massage your daughter
without very close supervision a properly trained massage therapist.  CP
bodies need special attention.

Beth t the OT