C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:49:56 +0100
On Tuesday 16 Jul 2002 3:11 pm, Chris Lahiff wrote:
> bear w/ me..i need to vent a bit... i hope y'all dont mind:)
> I'm an disabled mom to a beautiful 3mo old daughter and before I
> gave birth, i had this expectation of what it was going to be like
> to be an SAH Disabled parent.. All my life, I have adapted to
> whatever came my way, and nothing made me feel like parenthood
> would be any different - until now.. For the first 10weeks of my
> daughters life, i tried to do everything for her/ my household by
> myself... it was very tiring and it was taking a toll on me
> physically and emotionally.. So i got someone to come in and just
> help me out a little bit so i didn't feel so overwhelmed, which was
> great... but here's my problem... my baby likes her more than she
> likes me... i mean, i've told this lady to  let me be in charge,
> and not to hold my child, but its hard for her not to..
> my daughter cries for her, i mean it's breaking my heart and i am
> crying even as i type this... i feel so inadequate because i cant
> stand up and throw her over her shoulder and jiggle her as she
> likes, this lady is more graceful w/ handling her.. This lady has
> even received my daughters first precious giggle.. I feel like the
> only time I ever get to be close to her is when we are playing or
> when we are nursing... I want to hold my daughter so badly and i
> want her to be content with me... Can anyone give me suggestions??
> If not, it's ok, because i'm glad i got to get this off my chest

Jen, this is all perfectly normal. Babies don't want to be still too
long (when they are awake), they're always looking for stimulation.
One thing I used to do was put baby in one of those sprung rockers,
my CP gave it a lovely syncopated rhythm!! Another great thing is
those elasticated harness you attach to the door frame, but she needs
to get a few months older for that.

Some positive things to think about:-

Since she gets used to many people she won't be one of those "clingy"
kids who hide behind Mum's skirts at Play School, she'll be confident
and "easy" in the company of others.

I predict she'll be the first to dress herself, do her own shoes up,
at kindergarten - they soon learn its quicker to do it themselves
than wait for the fumblings of Mum & Dad!!!

There are plenty of others too.

Cheers

Deri