C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
K. Salkin
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:06:03 -0500
I don't think peace marches are very effective.  Yes, they do let people
know there are those who don't agree with the government and yes, they are
protected under freedom of speech but they are not really effective in
causing change in official policy.  It didn't work under Johnson and it
didn't work under Nixon, and I don't think it's going to work under Bush.
It did bring attention to the depravity of the war in Vietnam, but that
would have happened anyway, I think. I just happen to think there are more
effective ways of achieving peace - working to get the politicians of your
choice elected, work on your Congressmen and Senators to go against the
President, etc.  For one, I'm participating in a web campaign to let the
President know we're not for a war in Iraq, and I am encouraging people to
write letter to everyone  - their Congressmen, Senator, and the President.
To me, that is more effective than peace marches.

Why?  Because it antagonises a lot of people and negates the purpose when
clashes break out between the marchers and the police.  I had far rather
deploy other means of protest than peace marches or demonstrations.  I agree
with Bobby in that they are playing into the hand of Al Queda.

However, Bobby, Joan Baez did go to Vietnam back in the 1970s and sit
through an air raid in Hanoi, and sang about it.  She's done great work in
Amnesty International, and I've got a lot of respect for that.    I agree
with her about peace, it's just that I don't think some of her methods are
very effective or realistic.

Kat