From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:40:13 -0400
You can access most of it with a little bit less than ease with JAWS, but
with Window-Eyes, forget it.  I used to run Norton as well.  I bailed after
NAV 2005, when I had two very unsatisfactory tech calls to Symantec, which
were greatly compounded by the fact that what the support person was asking
me to click on could not be reached in any kind of straightforward manner
from the keyboard and had to be found with the JAWS cursor.  I'll grant you
that most of the day to day stuff in NAV 2006 and older can be accessed
from JAWS by just using HTML features, but it's when things go wrong that
the rubber meets the road.  If we could always live in the ordinary day to
day world, we wouldn't need Norton in the first place.

That being said, I will also say that accessibility is a hard thing to
judge because it means different things to different people.  We really
haven't established a single standard for accessibilityk, and some people
think that if the program says anything at all, it's accessible, while
others will hold out for 100% access with no work-arounds.  There is a
newer buzz word starting to make the rounds called usability, because there
is recognition that many of the "accessible" things are very very hard to
use because work-arounds are sometimes circuitous.

Where things get tricky is when a program can be accessed with one screen
reader but not another.  Is it accessible or not.  We could probably argue
about that all day long, but my point is this:  If you design a program to
follow normal Windows conventions and Windows-style controls, then you
really don't have to worry about what screen reader someone is running.

Symantec apparently cares more about being jazzy and different than it
cares about who might or might not be able to use their stuff.  The truth
is, there is a lot of stuff that they miss anyway, so I ditched them on
that basis.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK