From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2014 11:49:45 -0600
roof tripods are easily available at satellite equipment stores...or radio
shops etc.  Get a piece of 1 and a quarter ich pipe from your local hardware
store and bob's your uncle.
Make sure you also buy roofing sealant of some kind and spread all kinds of
it around the feet of the tripod when you mount it to the roof.  Putting
holes in your roof is really not a problem if you properly seal the holes
and the feet of the tripod.  It's done all the time.  and, honestly, it
makes zero difference to the resale value of the home and doesn't cause
problems if you are liberal with the sealer and intelligent about sealing
the area.
The only time guys have issues is when they chinse on the sealer or don't
coat the area with sealer before setting the tripod feet on it...you have to
think about how water moves and where it will go...how it collects and you
have to insure you aren't damming it up or not allowing it to flow past the
area.
Shingles on a roof work because they allow the water to flow off them and
down to the roof edge.
It's just like when you seal a coaxial connection with tape, you have to
wrap it so that the water flows down and off the area and doesn't want to go
inside the wrappings etc.
some planning and attention to detail will keep you dry and will make the
installation last as long as the house does
73
Colin V A6BKX