From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:42:31 -0700
Yes and no.

The FOLDER will always be kept by Gmail.  On the Gmail site, you can
control whether or not it is visible in IMAP (which causes most mail
clients to download its contents automatically).

The All Mail folder always contains every non-deleted, non-spam email
in your Gmail account.  The only way to get messages out of there is
to delete them or mark them as spam.  By default, the Gmail way is to
"Archive" messages (which leaves them in All Mail, possibly forever,
waiting for Gmail to benevolently use them only for your benefit
supposedly.  And if you believe that at this point, I've got a
perfect isotropic antenna to sell you.)

I was just saying that emptying your inbox and other tags of all
messages and then emptying trash and spam folders as well won't get
rid of the messages that have been "Archived".  You must do that
explicitly in your All Mail folder.

Joseph - KF7QZC