From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:59:38 -0500
Hi Tom;
I can't resist a smile over your request.  Based on my community, correcting
tests writing lesson plans writing tests would present challenges but be
very possible.  When I did my student teaching 30 years ago the big thing
was the black board.  Computers may solve many of the "old" problems.
Unfortunately, in my part of western NY, the real issue would be keeping
order.  You have to remember that as a professor most "young adults" are
spending money for the privilege of listening to your words of wisdom.  In
public school, particularly a inner city school, many kids are there because
someone pushed them in the door.  We have had issues at one local school
where an assistant principal was beaten by a group of students, and another
where a teacher was hit over the head with a chair in the cafeteria.
Apparently there was some long term memory loss.  More than just a bump on
the head.
Certainly blind people can teach, but you best have some assertiveness
training and help that teacher convey the impression that they aren't
putting up with any crap.
As it turned out, another job became available and after student teaching my
degree someone went to waste.
Rich