From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:11:53 -0400
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Barbara Sheppard wrote:

> I was wondering - does paleo theory (and experience) suggest that all
> allergies are ultimately caused by (non-paleo) foods, even if they don't
> show up on allergy tests?

I think "paleo theory" (i.e., the sort of speculation that we
enjoy here) suggests that eating the wrong foods can throw the
immune system into imbalance, possibly making it overactive.  If
this is correct, then avoiding those foods should help to restore
the immune system to its proper mode of function.  I don't think
this is the same as saying that all allergies are ultimately
caused by non-paleo foods.

I still get a touch of hay fever at the end of April, but it is
just a touch, whereas before paleo it could be quite severe.
Since it has only been a couple of years, this could be
coincidence, but I am willing to believe that my immune system's
response to the pollen is more subdued because my diet is better.
I note that in Protein Power the Eades also report that many of
their patients tell them that their allergies improve on that
diet.

Todd Moody