From:
dave taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 05:28:47 PDT

Hi List,
Here's a summary of message and information rec'd so far on Tara Gum.  A total
of three responses as of Tuesday, June 1.  Two people advising me that Acacia
Gum is also called Gum Arabic, and one response from a shop owner who wants
more info, as I do, so she can stock it as an item in her store.  I'd love
to find a source so I could try Tara in bread, but alas, I have had no
response from anyone with information on sources or substitutions.  I have
about 10 inquiries out to various organizations and shops that carry Xanthan
Gum, or seem like they might have some information, but no responses.  I'm
thinking the holiday weekend may have gotten in the way or research on this
topic, I hope so.

I also thought there may be more information from the European sector, since
the one article I do have on Tara indicates "has been used in Europe for
many years" Re: WWW.FOODEXPLORER.COM/PRODUCT/HISTORY/FF06715.HTML  This is a
Tech Bulletin at the above web site which initially piqued my interest.

I've just tried calling the SKW Bio-systems company (whose phone number
appears in the article) for the third time this morning at 8:30 to get a
recording saying that their normal office hours are 8:00 to 5:00 PM, Please
call back during normal office hours.

When I'm able to make contact, I'll pass along the information gained. Until
then, eat carefully.  Dave T., Mentor, OH.