From:
dave taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:53:22 PDT

List,

I've had responses from about 25 people so far.  The following are the
essence of the messages so far:

2 suggested the problem may be tendonitus
4 suggested carpal tunnel
7 suggested one of the following forms of arthritus:
   4 - plain old arthritis
   2 - osteoarthritis
   1 - basal joint arthritis

2 people had a problem with hand pain involving the middle finger, one found
relief with a chiropractor after a neck treatment.

1 suggested fibromyalgia

4 people had symptoms before going GF, and found relief with continued GF
diet and time.

2 suggested avoiding potatoes and tomatoes (members of the nightshade
family)

1 individual had surgery for joint pain, I'm not sure whether the joint was
replaced or "cleaned out".

Several suggestions were made for various combinations of vitamins and
minerals, including:
  Vitamins  B3, B5, B6, C, D, E
  Minerals Calcium and Magnesium
  Rhus Tox was suggested as a homeopathic remedy
  Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondrotin were suggested in combination

A suggestion was made to avoid NSAID's as a possible contributory factor in
continued deterioration of the joints.

4 people are using a splint or brace on a regular basis, especially when
using the computer keyboard.

1 individual uses exercise, the piano to flex her hands and maintain
mobility/flexability.

As you can see, there is a wide variety of possibilities for the cause and
treatment of the discomfort.  Also, I was somewhat suprised at the frequency
of this condition in one form or another.  I tend to believe that there is a
conection with the diet, absorption of vitamins and minerals, occupation or
use of computer equipment and family history.

Almost everyone suggested a visit to the Doctor.  There was one suggestion
for use of magnetic products for the treatment of "stiff fingers, thumb and
wrist discomfort, trigger finger and repetitive motion problems"  (I have an
e-mail address for those of you that would like more information on these
magnetic devices).

I think, for the time being, and until I can get in to see the Doctor, I'm
going to pursue the vitamin/mineral course of action. This seems least
invasive, least costly, and a reasonable course of action until professional
help can be obtained.

Thanks to all of you that responded.  This kind of information colection is
what makes this network work so well.  I appreciate your suggestions and
your willingness to share the information with the group.

Take care.  Dave T.