From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:43:44 -0500
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>     One issue that we cannot find in our host of
>saved posts is how one might go about installing an
>additional COM port and an internal modem in the
>circumstance where one has an external modem
>utilizing the same serial port,but a different COM port.

Side note: The following is MORE relevant to Win95-8
than older version of Windows.

  You did not mention the sound card you "might" have on
IRQ 5.  This would explain a lot of your problems.

>     At the conclusion of the extended process we are
>left with two questions.
>First, why should one disable the onboard serial port 2
>in order to install an internal modem?

  It is recommended by the modem manufacturers and your
mother board maker. It frees up the resources "cleanly"
for use with your modem.
(This was especially true in Win 3.x)

>Next, what does it mean that the COM port will not open?

  The resources you requested "may" have been in use by
a sound card. A port will not open "twice".
Win9x will sometimes think a sound card is a port.

>Is the modem installed incorrectly or (is) the COM 2
>installed incorrectly?

  It depends. If the int. modem is a "true" plug and play,
do you have the jumpers set right, OR OFF in some cases.
If you have the jumpers SET to a different IRQ than the
one you are "forcing" in Win9X, the results will be
unpredictable.
If the modem is NOT plug and play, I recommend using
IRQ 7 if that is a jumper choice.  This might look like
a printer conflict, but everyone has done it for a long
time with no problems. (My ECP/LPT1 uses it, but I have
never been "bothered" by that...  See below).
If the modem IS plug and play, I use default settings
for com 1 ( mouse) 03F8-03FF IRQ 4,
and com 2 (modem1) 02F8-02FF IRQ 3,
And the following for the third modem:
    com 3, 03E8-03EF, IRQ 12 "forced"
    in device manager.
Note: There WAS (is?) a port "sliding" issue in Windows.
BIOS ports slid down in Windows to fill the lower numbers
first. (I install according to the "old" rules...)
Why do you use com 4? Note: If you move it, you might
have to re configure all your "older" communication
programs that are set up to use that com port.
Modern programs are assigned a modem instead.
The above assumes Win9x, and is a mixture of Hayes and
URS install instructions, for PnP and not...
Your results will depend on your equipment.
        Rick

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]