From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:33:03 EST
     Time and again the members of this list have generously addressed the
problems associated with installation of additional COM ports and modems
together with the need to assign system resouces such as IRQ's to avoid
confilicts.  We have read and maintained many of these helpful postings.
     One issue that we cannot find in our host of saved posts is how one might
go about installing an additional COM port and an internal modem in the
circumstance where one has an external modem utilizing the same serial port,
but a different COM port.  In our case, we have an external modem installed on
COM4 utilizing IRQ 3, a serial mouse utilizing COM 1 on IRQ 4 and we wish to
install an internal modem on COM 2 at IRQ 5.  ArchTek American tech support
advises us first simply to install COM 2 using Control Panel / Add new
hardware.  Then go into Control Panel / Device Manager / Ports / COM 2 to
change the resources manually.  Thereafter, to go into the BIOS and disable
Onboard Serial Port 2, save changes & exit, restart the system and proceed to
install the internal modem manually ;using the drivers provided on disk.  When
we conclude this process and try diagnostics in the modem section of Control
Panel, we get an error message that the COM port will not open.
     At the conclusion of the extended process we are left with two questions.
First, why should one disable the onboard serial port 2 in order to install an
internal modem?  Next, what does it mean that the COM port will not open?  Is
the modem installed incorrectly or or the COM 2 installed incorrectly?
    We should appreciate any comments or responses that might shed some light
on this mystery.
Tommy Holmes, Jr.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html