From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 16:05:00 -0400
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:34:12 -0500, Mahesh Shah <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What is the standard for comparison?
>
>The use of eggs as the "gold standard" for ideal protein is archaic, based
>on a study that was used by the egg industry as a marketing campaign at the
>beginning of this century.
In the numbers I have, egg is just used as a scaling, not as a "gold standard".
Egg protein indeed is much closer to a humans needs than meat is,
since if you give egg a value of 100, then (red) meat will reach
91 points in terms of amino acid profile.
A combination of 2 parts to 1 part of maize to beans also reaches 101
(just an example).

<<
>Aren't there some studies of connectio
ns between protein (or meat)
>consumption and kindey deseases? Anybody here knows? >>

Thanks for all your reactions on my question.

My facit so far is now:
1.) healthy kidneys tolerate high protein diets
2.) high protein diets may cause kidneys to become bigger
    they seem to adapt to a higher workload
3.) high protein diets are in *some* way related to kidney stones

Nobody referenced a study relating protein consumption to kidney deseases
on a greater number of persons, alas.

So for healty people high protein should not be a kidney problem.
Please don't relate that again to the meat issue.
One can have a high protein diet on plants OR meats
(the sunflowers on my desk have more protein then the same weight in meat).

>The answer is very simple -- based on volumes of research. Any person with
>kidney disease or failure is advised to go on a low protein diet.

Kid
ney deseased of course must leave their hands off a high protein diet.

>Amadeus -- wo leben sie?
>Mahesh
I live in southern germany - well, bavaria, in view of the mountains :-)

regards

Amadeus