From:
"MARTIN J. KNIEP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:19:21 -0700
Thank you to all the responses I received regarding the Monkey virus.

Thu Apr 16 22:53:05 1998, [log in to unmask] (Uzi Paz) wrote:

>The Monkey virus encrypts the MBR so that you cannot access the hard-disk
>when booting from a clean diskette.

>Here are instructions that should be of help to you:
>Get F-PROT AV software (free for private use!) from:
>ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/virus
>The file name should be something like: fp-228b.zip
>(you may get it from any other simtel mirror as well).

I was able to get fp-228.zip (f-prot v. 2.28) from filemine.com.

>Make a (clean) diskette with the following files from the f-prot package:
>english.tx0 , f-prot.exe , sign.def .

Version 2.28 gave me an error message that sing.def was not compatable with
this version.  I needed to also include the file sign.asc (from the same
zip packet) to get the program to run.

>Boot your PC from a clean diskette, and then put the diskette with F-prot
>files and run:
>f-prot /hard

The command "f-prot /hard" uses the default setting of giving notification
of viruses without disinfecting.  Using the command "f-prot" I was presented
with a menu of choices of operations (much easier to use than McAfee
Virus Scan or Vscan with DOS).  I was able to select scan and clean the hard
drive, F-Prot found the Monkey and got rid of it.

I can now boot from the hard drive or from floppy and access the hard drive.
Thanks for the direction.

If anyone cares, I really liked how easy and effective F-Prot was to use.
Why is it I had never heard of this one before?

--
Martin Kniep
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA                It's not whether you win or lose,