From:
"Lenard, Janene" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:20:31 -0600

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was amazed at the number of responses I received!  72 at last count.
Way too many to thank you all individually, so please accept this GREAT
BIG THANK YOU to all of you.

To refresh...  I posted last Friday looking for emotional support in our
decision to restart baby plans after my CD diagnosis... "We are both
concerned about the possibility of passing CD on to our children.  I've
heard the percentages are only about 10% with a first degree relative
(I'm the only Celiac we know of in my family), but it seems everyone who
posts messages here has several Celiacs in their family.  Are there any
parents with CD who do NOT have children with CD and could help
alleviate some of our concern?  I would love to here from you."

I receive an overwhelming response in favor of having children
regardless of the CD risk.  Most pointed out that compared to some of
the diseases one can pass on to their children, CD is an easy one to
deal with.  Also, since I am diagnosed I will know what to look for in
my child and I am better prepared to deal with it if my child does have
CD.  I received responses from parents with and without CD, some
children had it and some did not.  The perception I had that there are
usually several Celiacs in a family is not necessarily true.  I received
quite a few responses from people who were the only Celiac in their
family.  Sounds like there is no real way to predict if your child will
develop CD or not, but the joys of parenthood are definitely worth the
small risk.

For those of you who wanted to know what are decision was, we had always
planned on going ahead and having children and we still do.  We were
just looking for a little more reassurance that we were making the best
decision for ourselves and our child(ren).  I have an appointment to see
my GP tomorrow for a prenatal check up to be sure I am starting in good
health and then it is... well, you all know were babies come from.
(Hope that didn't offend anyone!)

Thank you again for all the helpful and encouraging words.  Someone told
me they always thought this list was for emotional support, I guess they
were right.  (-:
-Janene Lenard
 St. Paul, MN  USA  (Having a nice mild winter for those who inquired.)