From:
"Lenard, Janene" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 19:09:31 -0500

Hi All-
Sorry this summary has taken me so long, but... I won't bore you with
all of my excuses.

I have received several good ideas for crackers and morning sickness
hints, but alas the perfect substitute still eludes me.  My thanks to
everyone who responded and I hope I was able to answer all of the
personal questions.  Here are some of the ideas I received (recipes are
at the end):

~Brown Rice Snaps by Edward $ Sons.  Edward & Sons Trading Co.,P.O. Box
1326, Carpinteria, CA 93014 - These didn't work for me, but I'm not into
the flavors available.
~Tostitos Corn Chips
~Popcorn
~Dietary Specialties 1-(800)544-0099  8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST  Monday
   through Friday or P.O. Box 227, Rochester, NY 14601   Website:
   http://www.colorwheel.com/ds
   Wel-Plan Crackers and Bi-Aglut Snack Crackers - I haven't tried these
   yet.
~WF/GF Wasa Corn Crispbreads imported by Liberty Richter - Unfortunately
   these are no longer available in Minnesota (I called the distributer and
   got nowhere fast.)
~Potato chips
~Hol-Grain Rice Crisps - Taste like flattened rice cakes with salt.
~Rice Cakes
~Sesmark and Kame Rice Thins
~G! Foods - I haven't ordered anything from these guys yet.
~Snackwell Potato crakers - Available GF in Canada ONLY.
~Rice and Millet crispbreads - UK
~DeRoMa 1-800-363-DIET
   Glutano pretzels - Wonderful!
   Glutafin crackers - Not very salty, but good with meat and cheese on
   top.
    My only complaint with DoReMa is my rice hamburger buns arrived at room
   temp not frozen, and they were moldy!  My advice, stick with the items
   meant to be stored at room temp.
   Rusks - similar to Melba toast (I hear)
~Ty Ling Rice Crisp Crackers
~No Fries from Pacific Grains

Recipes:
Loaf of bread sliced it extremely thin, spread the slices out on an
extra-large cookie sheet, melt some butter and brush it on the tops of
the slices, put the whole thing in a 225 degree oven,
leave the oven on for a couple of hours, then turn the oven off and
leave the pan in the hot oven overnight. This process turns the bread
into melba toast or zweiback, whichever you want to call it!

*  Exported from  MasterCook  *
                                 Pretzels
Recipe By     : Carol Fenster Ph.D.
Categories    : Breads-Yeast                     Snacks

1 tablespoon dry yeast -- RED STAR
1/2  cup brown rice flour -- or bean flour
1/2  cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon dry milk or non dairy
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2  teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder -- optional
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2/3  cup warm water -- 105 degrees
1/2  teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 large egg white or egg alternative -- beaten to foam*
1 tablespoon course salt -- optional

In medium mixer bowl, blend the yeast, flours dry milk, xantan gum, salt,
onion powder, and gelatin on low. Add warm water, sugar, olive oil, and
vinegar. Beat on high speeeed for 3 minutes. Batter will be consistancy
of soft cookie dough.

Place dough in large HEAVY DUTY plastic bag (I spritz inside with oil)
that has a 1/4 inch opening cut on one corner(could use pastry bag).
Squeeze dough through opening onto baking sheet that has been coated with
cooking spray. You may make traditonal pretzel shapes but straight 3 inch
sticks are easier(and make good teething buiscuits)  It works best to
hold the bag upright as you squeeze the dough out. Brush lightly with egg
white if using (I do not) Place pretzels in warm place to rise for 10-15
minutes or until pretzels reach desired size.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle pretzels with coarse salt. Bake
until pretzels are dry and golden brown, about 15 minutes.

EGG ALTERNATIVE to obtain the sheen similar to using the egg white, spray
with cooking spray, Olive Oil spray yeilds the brownest sheen

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Crackers
Recipe By     : Carol Fenster
Categories    : Breads-Quick Self Rising         Snacks

1/4  cup bean flour or brown rice flour
1/4  cup potato starch
1/4  cup sweet rice flour
1/2  teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4  teaspoon baking soda
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons  Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons milk or substitute
1 teaspoon cider vinegar cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with the cooking spay.

In medium mixing bowl combine flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt,
onion powder and Parmesan cheese. Add the butter and honey and mix until
the dough resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sesame seeds. Add the milk and
vinegar. Shape dough into soft ball.

Shape the dough into 20 balls, each 1 inch in diameter, and place on
baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a drinking
glass or a rolling pin, flatten the balls to approximately 1/8 inch
thick. Use your fingers to smooth edges of circle.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crackers look firm and slightly toasted.
Turn each cracker and bake another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. You
may sprinkle with additional sesame seeds and salt, if desired.
                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BUCKWHEAT THINS
Adapted from The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook by Marilyn Gioannini
By Barbara Frohne

1 1/2 cups light buckwheat flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 c water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Combinseeds, Poppy seeds, and salt in a
medium bowl.  Starting with a spoon, and eventually using your fingers,
rub in 3 Tablespoons oil.  Gradually add about 2/3 cup water to form a
soft but workable dough.  Add a little more water if dough does not
stick together.  Knead lightly.

Sprinkle buckwheat flour on the bottom of a cookie sheet.  Divide the
dough in half.  Form one half into a ball.  Flatten the ball in the
cookie sheet.  Sprinkle a bit of flour on the ball.  Roll out the dough
using a round drinking glass or a small rolling pin until it is very
thin.  Brush a small amount of oil on the dough. Sprinkle with salt.  Use
a butter knife to cut the dough into your favorite cracker shape.

Bake 6 - 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.  If thinner crackers turn
brown first, remove them and continue cooking the rest.

NOTE:  Dark buckwheat flour has a much stronger taste then light
buckwheat flour.  It is hard to find light buckwheat flour in stores, but
you can make your own quite easily.  In a blender, blend 1/2 cup portions
of raw buckwheat groats (roasted ones make dark flour) for a minute or
two.  Sift or strain the resulting flour, and add any large pieces into
your next 1/2 cup batch.

BARBARA'S GARLIC VARIATION:  Substitute 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
or granulated garlic for the poppy seeds, and follow the directions as
normal for a nicely seasoned cracker.

Mock Cheez-Its from Mary Lou Thomas:  This is a wonderful adaptation of
Bette Hagman's recipe for Cheese Sticks in The Gluten Free Gourmet,
published by Henry Holt & Co.

1/2  lb. sharp Cheddar cheese
2  tbs. GF margarine or butter
1  large egg
1/2  tsp. salt
1/8  tsp. ground pepper
3/4  cup rice flour
1/4  cup potato starch flour
1  tsp. xanthan gum
salt for topping

Grate the cheese (approximately 2 cups).  Set aside.  Place butter in
the bowl of a mixer and beat until creamy.  Add egg, salt, and pepper.
Beat until blended.  Beat in the cheese a third at a time, until
combined.  Mix in flours and xanthan gum until well blended.  Work the
dough into a ball.  Do not use any water to reduce stickiness.

Divide dough, rolling pieces between sheets of waxed paper to form
rectangle about 1/16 inch thick.  Place on a baking sheet.  Cut with a
pastry wheel into 1-inch squares and place on greased baking sheets.
Repeat with the remaining dough.  Prick each cracker 2 or 3 times with a
fork.  Lightly salt the crackers.  Bake in a preheated oven at 375
degrees for 5-6 minutes or lightly golden.  Turn oven to 250 degrees and
bake until crisp, approximately 30 minutes.  Let cool on baking sheet.
Store in an airtight container.

~~~~~That's All~~~~~
I also have a posting from awhile back that contains tips for baking
crackers.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will forward it to
you.
Thanks again,
-Janene Lenard
 St. Paul,  MN  USA