From:
Ralph Carabetta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:57:54 -0600
Dave Jackson wrote:

> That's caffeine isn't it - or are we talking about some recent invention?
> I've noticed that spelling ability declines steadily west of the meridian -
> a Paleo effect or just the backwash of earlier failed eezi lerning alfabet
> (sic) teaching methods? Do you people have spelling checkers? Do you use
> them and learn from your mistakes? I suppose <<scedual>> is schedule in
> this spell as u feel environment! It's a sort of linguistic form of <global
> warming>> isn't it?
>
> Sorry to be pedantic but if we continue to spell how we feel we will not be
> able to communicate in writing within 20 years.

Gee Dave, this seems like a topic for another list. Accurate
observation? Without guestion. A smattering of self-riteousness however
(oops, righteousness), and a little generalization ("generalisation" for
you Brits out there) e.g. <<west of the meridian>> and <<you people>>,
but otherwise...well, you're right..er..correct.

Perhaps these gentlemen can put this in perspective;

"Thank not those faithful who praise all thy words and actions, but
those who KINDLY reprove thy faults" - Socrates

"A SMILE in giving honest criticism can make the difference between
resentment and reform" - Philip Steinmetz

or, perhaps it's...

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened" - Winston Churchill

hmmmm......;-)