PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:30:25 -0400
Regarding Simoons assertion that milk drinking dates back only 4000 years,
there was recently an exhibition of ancient statues from Jordan at the
Smithsonian Institution here in Washington DC.  The site from which the
statues were excavated dates back to 7200 BC.  We quote from the brochure:
 "The people of Ain Ghazal lived year-round at the site, relying for their
subsitence on hunting, herding and farming.  They ate meat and milk products
from the goats they herded and grew wheat, barley, lentils, peas and
chickpeas. . . "  So milk drinking dates back at least 9000 years.  (By the
way, we have the upmost respect for Simoons whose book Food In China should
be read by all.)

When we consider how milk products are processed in traditional societies,
the debate over lactose intolerance becomes moot.  The fermenting of milk
into yoghurt, cheese or any one of the myriad of fermented milk products
found throughout the world, partially or fully digests the lactose and makes
milk products tolerable to the vast majority, even the lactose intolerant. On
the other hand, even those with a high tolerance for milk products may have a
hard time digesting modern supermarket milk which is pasteurized, has a low
milk fat content and comes from freak pituitary cows eating inappropriate
feed.

To Ward Nicholson:  We missed your question on the Masai--could you repost?

Sally and Mary