PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 22:23:31 +0100
Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, in two postings rich in statements but poor in
references, have written:

>From the Eskimo of Alaska to the hardy Alpiner, from Gaelic villager to
>African tribesman, Price discovered that all healthy indigenous people
>had a plentiful source of animal fat in the diet.

I do not know how Price defined healthy, but there have been many
traditional populations with a low intake of animal fat (including dairy
products and fat from meat) who also have had low rates of cardiovascular
disease, hypertension, obesity and diabetes prior to westernization
[1-102].

>We cannot understand how dairy products per se can be blamed for the CHD
>epidemic.

But I can. Per capita intake of milk is the single environmental factor
which is most strongly related to international ischaemic heart disease
death rates [103], and for males of 19 OECD countries the negative relation
between mortality from ischaemic heart disease and wine or alcohol intake
was reduced to non-significance by controlling for dairy products [104].
But epidemiology can never prove causality. The cause could be some
undiscovered lifestyle factor which is related to milk intake.

Or it could be something else in the milk than saturated fat. Dr Jeffrey
Segall has suggested that it is lactose [105] and recently argued that
'International data show stronger correlations of mortality from ischaemic
heart disease with per capita supply of dairy products excluding fat than
with dairy fat, and of estimated lactose than with dairy fat or margarine
and other processed fats (positively) and vegetable oils and fats, fat of
fish or wine (negatively). Butter and cheese, which have a low content of
lactose, show moderate and zero correlations, respectively. Populations
with low or intermediate prevalence of adult lactose absorbers have a lower
supply of dairy products excluding butter (and therefore of lactose), and a
lower mortality from ischaemic heart disease, than populations with a high
prevalence of absorbers. Specific national and ethnic data suggest that a
diet low or relatively low in lactose, in populations with low or
relatively low prevalence of lactose absorbers, is more consistently
associated with protection against ischaemic heart disease than are high
intakes of unsaturated fatty acids, wine, alcohol or dietary fibre. In
seven countries with a high consumption of dairy products (six at least
with a high prevalence of lactose absorbers), trends in ischaemic heart
disease mortality appear to have reflected changes in the supply of milk
(and therefore of lactose), but not consistently of butter or inversely of
unsaturated fatty acids. The findings reviewed in this paper call for
further investigation of the subject, epidemiologically and biochemically'
[106].

In order to be absorbed, lactose is split by the intestinal enzyme lactase
into glucose and galactose. Paleolithic human adults did not drink milk and
were probably, like most adults of the world today, incapable of absorbing
lactose [107]. Accordingly, galactose is one of the few nutrients that did
not enter the metabolic system of adults during human evolution.

>...the Masai (high consumption of whole milk products, no CHD)...

Segall states that, among the Masai, 'the milk is consumed largely
lactose-fermented, and the prevalence of lactose absorbers in adults can be
assumed to be low because that in children aged 5-14 years is estimated to
be 38 per cent [108]' [106].

This is crucial. Does anyone else know whether the Masai really ferment(ed)
their milk?

>Assuming that man's tastebuds are not superfluous, but nature's way of
>guiding him to the food he needs, let us examine the notion that the
>cave man diet satisfied only the bitter, sour or pungent portion of his
>tasting apparatus, and not the salty or sweet.

Obviously our tastebuds lead us to the sweet, but sweet foods during
evolution differed dramatically from most sweet foods today regarding
nutrient density. Personally I would be at least 25 kg heavier if I had let
my tastebuds guide me through the supermarket.

>It is hard to imagine that he would have neglected his taste for salt. It
>occurs naturally in meat and blood and, as animals seek out natural salt
>licks, so our sensible cave man would have done the same.

Yes of course, we are all very similar. But meat and blood are low salt
foods and substantial evidence suggests that, since nature has not prepared
the cave man and his woman for excess salt, increasing their salt intake to
western standards would increase their risk of hypertension, stroke, heart
failure, esophageal and gastric cancer, kidney stones and osteoporosis
[109]. Hunter-gatherers by the sea may have added sea water or even sea
salt to their foods. But sea salt is only 65 per cent sodium chloride, the
rest is potassium chloride and magnesium sulphate, and in any case the
sodium to potassium ratio would not have been as high as for westerners.

>It is
>reported that the members of the Yanomami tribe in the Amazon basin
>do not take in any added salt. In an apparant adoptive measure, they
>also excrete almost no salt in the urine.

Yes, they excrete 1 mmol per 24 hours, which corresponds well with their
intake [110]. But this is not specific for them, all human are capable of
adopting to a low-salt diet [111]. Last time I checked my urinary excretion
of sodium it was 14 mmol per 24 hours compared to 150-300 in the West.

>Milk is salty because mammals need salt for the production of
>hydrochloric acid and for the development of the brain and nervous
>system. Without dietary salt, the human mind does not fully develop and
>man must live, not by his wits like the ingenious cave man from the
>dawn of time, but as a brute, even if he happens to be born in this
>modern age.

I am not aware of any evidence that that we do not get more salt than we
need from unsalted meat, fruit and saturating vegetables [111]. If Enig and
Fallon have references please share them with us. I have several thousand
colleagues here in Sweden who would be very happy to find arguments for
giving pills in stead of dietary advice to patients with high blood
pressure (although the effect of pills on their health is lousy [112-114]).

>Some studies have shown that with low salt diets, hypertension becomes
>worse.

But the bulk of evidence suggests the contrary [115]. Any cause-effect
relationship will by chance be 'reversed' in one or two studies out of
many, and readers who pick out such single studies are possibly in love
with some hypothesis.

But who is not? :-)

1.      Breinl A. On the occurence and prevalence of diseases in British
New Guinea. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 1915; 9: 285-.
2.      Clements FW. A Medical Survey in Papua: Report of the First
Expedition by the School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine to Papua,
1935. Med J Aust 1936; 1: 451-.
3.      Devine HD. Rheumatic Heart Disease in New Guinea: Including a
Cardiovascular Survey of 200 Native Papuans. Ann Intern Med 1946; 24: 826-.
4.      Backhouse TC. Melanesian natives and vascular disease: A note based
on autopsy records, 1923-1934. Med J Aust 1958; 36-.
5.      Whyte H. Body fat and blood pressure of natives in New Guinea:
Reflections on essential hypertension. Aust Ann Med 1958; 7: 36-46.
6.      Barnes R. Incidence of Heart Disease in a Native Hospital of Papua.
Med J Aust 1961; 2: 540-.
7.      Campbell C, Arthur R. A study of 2000 admissions to the medical
ward of Port Moresby General Hospital. Med J Aust 1964; 1: 989-992.
8.      Dewdney JCH. Maprik Hospital - a review of 3888 consecutive
admissions, February 1963 to July 1964. Papua New Guinea Med J 1965; 8:
89-96.
9.      Kariks J, McGovern VJ. Heart disease in the territory of Papua-New
Guinea: a preliminary report based on a necropsy study. Med J Aust 1967; 1:
176-7.
10.     Verlee DL. Ophthalmic survey in the Solomon Islands. Am J
Ophthalmol 1968; 66: 304-19.
11.     Stanhope JM. Mortality and population growth: Losuia area,
Kiriwina, Trobriand Islands. Papua New Guinea Med J 1969; 12: 42-48.
12.     Vines AP. An epidemiological sample survey of the highlands,
mainland and island regions of the Territory of Papua and New Guinea. In:
Department of Public Health, Territory of Papua and New Guinea, Port
Moresby, 1970:
13.     Conyers RA. Myocardial infarction in a New Guinean. Med J Aust
1971; 2: 412-7.
14.     Aiken GH, Lytton DG, Everingham S. Atherosclerotic heart disease in
urbanised Papua New Guineans. P N G Med J 1974; 17: 248-50.
15.     Hornabrook RW, Crane GG, Stanhope JM. Karkar and Lufa: an
epidemiological and health background to the human adaptability studies of
the International Biological Programme. Philos Trans R Soc Lond Biol 1974;
268: 293-308.
16.     Mathews CL. Cardiovascular disease in Lae- a five year review. P N
G Med J 1974; 17: 251-62.
17.     Page LB, Damon A, Moellering RJ. Antecedents of cardiovascular
disease in six Solomon Islands societies. Circulation 1974; 49: 1132-46.
18.     Sinnett P, Buck L. Coronary heart disease in Papua New Guinea:
present and future. P N G Med J 1974; 17: 242-7.
19.     Somers K. Cardiology in Papua New Guinea. P N G Med J 1974; 17: 235-41.
20.     Hornabrook RW. Editorial: neurology in Papua New Guinea. P N G Med
J 1975; 18: 193-6.
21.     Nagurney JT. Neurological admissions to Goroka Base Hospital - an
eight month survey. P N G Med J 1975; 18: 220-6.
22.     Sinnett P. The people of Murapin.Oxford: EW Classey Ltd,
1977(Research PNGIoM, ed. Monograph Series No 4
23.     McGarvey ST, Baker PT. The effects of modernization and migration
on Samoan blood pressures. Hum Biol 1979; 51: 461-79.
24.     Korner N. Cardiovascular disease in Papua New Guinea. Med J Aust
1980; 1: 1-7.
25.     Martin FI, Wyatt GB, Griew AR, Mathews JD, Campbell DG. Diabetic
surveys in Papua New Guinea - results and implications. P N G Med J 1981;
24: 188-94.
26.     Palmer P. Autopsies at Goroka hospital from 1978-1982: a review. P
N G Med J 1982; 25: 166-7.
27.     Ree GH. Elderly ailing Highlanders of Papua New Guinea. P N G Med J
1982; 25: 93-6.
28.     Gee RW. The epidemiology of hypertension in the South Pacific. P N
G Med J 1983; 26: 55-8.
29.     Savige J. Diabetes mellitus in the Tolais of the Gazelle Peninsula,
New Britain. P N G Med J 1982; 25: 89-92.
30.     Patel MS. Diabetes, the emerging problem in Papua New Guinea
[editorial]. P N G Med J 1984; 27: 1-3.
31.     King H. Glucose tolerance in Papua New Guinea: past and future
studies. P N G Med J 1985; 28: 283-9.
32.     Jenkins C. Medical anthropology in the Western Scrader range, Papua
New Guinea. Nat Geogr Res 1987; 3: 412-30.
33.     Kevau IH. Clinical documentation of twenty cases of acute
myocardial infarction in Papua New Guineans. P N G Med J 1990; 33: 275-80.
34.     Sinnett PF, Kevau IH, Tyson D. Social change and the emergence of
degenerative cardiovascular disease in Papua New Guinea. In: Attenborough
RD, Alpers MP, ed.  Human Biology in Papua New Guinea. The Small Cosmos.
Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992: 373-86.
35.     Hunter JD. Some epidemiological aspects of coronary artery disease
in New Zealand and the Cook Islands. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1963; 97: 908-19.
36.     Stanhope JM. Blood pressures of the Tinam-Aigram people, near
Simbai, Madang District. P N G Med J 1968; 11: 60-1.
37.     Labarthe D, Reed D, Brody J, Stallones R. Health effects of
modernization in Palau. Am J Epidemiol 1973; 98: 161-74.
38.     Prior IA. Cardiovascular epidemiology in New Zealand and the
Pacific. N Z Med J 1974; 80: 245-52.
39.     Pathik B, Ram P. Acute myocardial infarction in Fiji: a review of
300 cases. Med J Aust 1974; 2: 922-4.
40.     Beaglehole R, Salmond CE, Prior IA. Prevalence of coronary heart
disease in samples of New Zealand Maoris and Pakehas. N Z Med J 1975; 82:
119-22.
41.     Reed DM. Current health problems in the South and Central Pacific.
N Z Med J 1977; 85: 326-9.
42.     Zimmet P. Epidemiology of diabetes and its macrovascular
manifestations in Pacific populations: the medical effects of social
progress. Diabetes Care 1979; 2: 144-53.
43.     Jackson L, Whitehouse S, Zimmet P, Sloman G. Electrocardiographic
findings in a partly urbanised Polynesian population. The Funafuti survey.
N Z Med J 1980; 91: 210-2.
44.     Zimmet PZ, Taylor R, Jackson L, Whitehouse SL, Faaivaso S, Ainuu J.
Blood pressure studies in rural and urban Western Samoa. Med J Aust 1980;
2: 202-5.
45.     Zimmet P, Jackson L, Whitehouse S. Blood pressure studies in two
Pacific populations with varying degrees of modernisation. N Z Med J 1980;
91: 249-52.
46.     Beaglehole R, Prior IA, Foulkes MA, Eyles EF. Death in the South
Pacific. N Z Med J 1980; 91: 375-8.
47.     Prior IAM, Stanhope JM. Blood pressure patterns, salt use and
migration in the Pacific. In: Kesteloot H, Joosens JV, ed.  Epidemiology of
Arterial Blood Pressure.  The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff, 1980: 243-62.
48.     Zimmet P, Faaiuso S, Ainuu J, Whitehouse S, Milne B, DeBoer W. The
prevalence of diabetes in the rural and urban Polynesian population of
Western Samoa. Diabetes 1981; 30: 45-51.
49.     Crews DE, MacKeen PC. Mortality related to cardiovascular disease
and diabetes mellitus in a modernizing population. Soc Sci Med 1982; 16:
175-81.
50.     Finau SA, Prior IA, Evans JG. Ageing in the South Pacific. Physical
changes with urbanization. Soc Sci Med 1982; 16: 1539-49.
51.     Reed DM, Feinleib M. Changing patterns of cardiovascular disease in
the Pacific Basin: report of an international workshop. J Community Health
1983; 8: 182-205.
52.     Kasl SV, Berkman L. Health consequences of the experience of
migration. Annu Rev Public Health 1983; 4: 69-90.
53.     Taylor R. Prevention and control of non-communicable diseases in
Pacific Island nations. Prospects and constraints. Med J Aust 1983; 2:
389-94.
54.     King H, Zimmet P, Bennett P, Taylor R, Raper LR. Glucose tolerance
and ancestral genetic admixture in six semitraditional Pacific populations.
Genet Epidemiol 1984; 1: 315-28.
55.     Tuomilehto J, Ram P, Eseroma R, Taylor R, Zimmet P. Cardiovascular
diseases and diabetes mellitus in Fiji: analysis of mortality, morbidity
and risk factors. Bull World Health Organ 1984; 62: 133-43.
56.     Taylor R, Thoma K. Mortality patterns in the modernized Pacific
Island nation of Nauru. Am J Public Health 1985; 75: 149-55.
57.     Baker PT, Hanna JM, Baker TS, ed. The Changing Samoans Behavior and
Health in Transition.  Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986:
58.     Taylor R, Nemaia H, Connell J. Mortality in Niue, 1978-82. N Z Med
J 1987; 100: 477-81.
59.     Eason RJ, Pada J, Wallace R, Henry A, Thornton R. Changing patterns
of hypertension, diabetes, obesity and diet among Melanesians and
Micronesians in the Solomon Islands. Med J Aust 1987; 146: 465-9.
60.     Taylor R, Bennett P, Uili R, et al. Hypertension and indicators of
coronary heart disease in Wallis Polynesians: an urban-rural comparison.
Eur J Epidemiol 1987; 3: 247-56.
61.     Finlayson PJ, Caterson LD, Rhodes KM, Plehwe WE, Hannelly T, Silink
M. Diabetes, obesity and hypertension in Vanuatu. P N G Med J 1988; 31:
9-18.
62.     Tuomilehto J, Zimmet P, Kankaanpaa J, et al. Prevalence of
ischaemic ECG abnormalities according to the diabetes status in the
population of Fiji and their associations with other risk factors. Diabetes
Res Clin Pract 1988; 5: 205-17.
63.     Crews DE, Pearson JD. Cornell Medical Index responses and mortality
in a Polynesian population. Soc Sci Med 1988; 27: 1433-7.
64.     Salmond CE, Prior IA, Wessen AF. Blood pressure patterns and
migration: a 14-year cohort study of adult Tokelauans. Am J Epidemiol 1989;
130: 37-52.
65.     Dowse G, Collins V, Zimmet P, Finch C. Cross-sectional and
longitudinal relationship between obesity, hypertension and coronary heart
disease in Micronesian Nauruans. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 1990; 10: S179-83.
66.     Tukuitonga CF, Stewart A, Beaglehole R. Coronary heart disease
among Pacific Island people in New Zealand. N Z Med J 1990; 103: 448-9.
67.     Tuomilehto J, Zimmet P, Nan L, Dowse G. ECG abnormalities in
relation to glugose tolerance and other risk factors in men of the
developing Pacific nation of Kiribati. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 1991; 1:
195-200.
68.     Dowse GK, Zimmet PZ, King H. Relationship between prevalence of
impaired glucose tolerance and NIDDM in a population. Diabetes Care 1991;
14: 968-74.
69.     King H, Finch C, Koki G, King LF, Alpers M, Zimmet P. Glucose
tolerance in Papua New Guinea: comparison of Austronesian and
non-Austronesian communities of Karkar Island. Diabet Med 1991; 8: 481-8.
70.     Yatsu FM. Strokes in Asians and Pacific-Islanders, Hispanics, and
Native Americans. Circulation 1991; 83: 1471-2.
71.     King H. The epidemiology of diabetes mellitus in Papua New Guinea
and the Pacific: adverse consequences of natural selection in the face of
sociocultural change. In: Attenborough RD, Alpers MP, ed.  Human Biology in
Papua New Guinea. The Small Cosmos.  Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992: 363-72.

72.     O'Dea K. Diabetes in Australian Aborigines: impact of the western
diet and life style. J Intern Med 1992; 232: 103-117.
73.     Groom D. Cardiovascular observations on Tarahumara Indian
runners--the modern Spartans. Am Heart J 1971; 81: 304-14.
74.     Connor WE, Cerqueira MT, Connor RW, Wallace RB, Malinow MR,
Casdorph HR. The plasma lipids, lipoproteins, and diet of the Tarahumara
indians of Mexico. Am J Clin Nutr 1978; 31: 1131-42.
75.     Burns-Cox CJ, Maclean JD. Splenomegaly and blood pressure in an
Orang Asli community in West Malaysia. Am Heart J 1970; 80: 718-9.
76.     Oliver WJ, Cohen EL, Neel JV. Blood pressure, sodium intake, and
sodium related hormones in the Yanomamo Indians, a "no-salt" culture.
Circulation 1975; 52: 146-51.
77.     Spielman RS, Fajans SS, Neel JV, Pek S, Floyd JC, Oliver WJ.
Glucose tolerance in two unacculturated Indian tribes of Brazil.
Diabetologia 1982; 23: 90-3.
78.     Baruzzi R, Franco L. Amerindians of Brazil. In: Trowell H, Burkitt
D, ed.  Western diseases: their emergence and prevention.  Cambridge, Mass:
Harvard University Press, 1981: 138-153.
79.     Donnison CP. Blood pressure in the African native. Its bearing upon
the ætiology of hyperpiesia and arterio-sclerosis. Lancet 1929; i: 6-7.
80.     Vint FW. Postmortem findings in the natives of Kenya. East Afr Med
J 1937; 13: 332-40.
81.     Muwazi E. Neurological disease among african natives of Uganda: A
review of 269 cases. East Afr Med J 1944; 2-19.
82.     Davies J. Pathology of central african natives. IX: Cardiovscular
diseases. East Afr Med J 1948; 25: 454-467.
83.     Higginson J, Pepler WJ. Fat intake, serum cholesterol, and
atherosclerosis in the South African Bantu. Part II. Atherosclerosis and
coronary artery disease. J Clin Invest 1954; 33: 1366-71.
84.     Hutton PW. Neurological disease in Uganda. East Afr Med J 1956; 33:
209-223.
85.     Trowell HC. Non-infective diseases in Africa.London: Edward Arnold
Ltd, 1960:74-152.
86.     Thomas W, Davies J, O'Nea lR, Dimakulangan A. Incidence of
myocardial infarction correlated with venous and pulmonary thrombosis and
embolism. A geographic study based on autopsies in Uganda, East Africa and
St Louis, USA. Am J Cardiol 1960; 5:  41-47.
87.     Lowenstein FH. Blood-pressure in relation to age and sex in the
tropics and subtropics. A review of the literature and an investigation in
two tribes of Brazil Indians. Lancet 1961; i: 389-92.
88.     Reef H, Isaacson C. Atherosclerosis in the Bantu. Circulation 1962;
25: 66-72.
89.     Walker ARP. Mortality from coronary heart disease and from cerebral
vascular disease in the different racial populations in South Africa. South
Afr Med J 1963; 37: 1155-9.
90.     Seftel HC, Keeley KJ, Walker ARP. Characteristics of South African
Bantu who have suffered from myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 1963; 12:
149-56.
91.     Billinghurst JR. The pattern of adult neurological admissions to
Mulago hospital, Kampala. East Afr Med J 1970; 47: 653-63.
92.     Truswell AS, Kennelly BM, Hansen JD, Lee RB. Blood pressures of
Kung bushmen in Northern Botswana. Am Heart J 1972; 84: 5-12.
93.     Solberg LA, McGarry PA. Cerebral atherosclerosis in Negroes and
Caucasians. Atherosclerosis 1972; 16: 141-54.
94.     Dodu S. Clinical aspects of ischaemic heart disease (IHD) in Ghana.
Ghana Med J 1972; 11: 203-214.
95.     Merimee TJ, Rimoin DL, Cavalli SL. Metabolic studies in the African
pygmy. J Clin Invest 1972; 51: 395-401.
96.     Joffe BI, Jackson WP, Thomas ME, Toyer MG, Keller P, Pimstone BL.
Metabolic responses to oral glucose in the Kalahari Bushmen. B M J 1971; 4:
206-8.
97.     Edginton ME, Hodkinson J, Seftel HC. Disease patterns in a South
African rural Bantu population, including a commentary on comparisons with
the pattern in urbanized Johannesburg Bantu. S Afr Med J 1972; 46: 968-76.
98.     Okuwobi B, Strasser T. Heart disease in Nigeria. World Health 1972;
24- 25.
99.     Walker AR. The epidemiological emergence of ischemic arterial
diseases. Am Heart J 1975; 89: 133-6.
100.    Truswell AS, Hansen JDL. Medical research among the !Kung. In: Lee
RB, DeVore I, ed.  Kalahari Hunter-gatherers.  Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard
University Press, 1976: 166-95.
101.    Isaacson C. The changing pattern of heart disease in South African
Blacks. S Afr Med J 1977; 52: 793-8.
102.    Trowell HC, Burkitt DP, ed. Western diseases: their emergence and
prevention.  Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1981:
103.    Artaud WS, Connor SL, Sexton G, Connor WE. Differences in coronary
mortality can be explained by differences in cholesterol and saturated fat
intakes in 40 countries but not in France and Finland. A paradox.
Circulation 1993; 88: 2771-9.
104.    Popham RE. Variation in mortality from ischaemic heart disease in
relation to alcohol and milk consumption. Med Hypotheses 1983; 12: 321-9.
105.    Segall JJ. Is milk a coronary health hazard? Br J Prev Soc Med
1977; 31: 91-5.
106.    Segall JJ. Dietary lactose as a possible risk factor for ischaemic
heart disease: review of epidemiology. Int J Cardiol 1994; 46: 197-207.
107.    Allen JS, Cheer SM. The Non-Thrifty Genotype. Current Anthropology
1996; 37: 831-42.
108.    Jackson RT, Latham MC. Lactose malabsorption among Masai children
of East Africa. Am J Clin Nutr 1979; 32: 779-82.
109.    Antonios TF, MacGregor GA. Salt - more adverse effects. Lancet
1996; 348: 250-1.
110.    Mancilha-Carvalho JJ, de Oliveira R, Esposito RJ. Blood pressure
and electrolyte excretion in the Yanomamo Indians, an isolated population.
J Hum Hypertens 1989; 3: 309-14.
111.    Michell AR. Physiological aspects of the requirement for sodium in
mammals. Nutr Res Rev 1989; 2: 149-60.
112.    Lindholm L, Ejlertsson G, Scherstén B. High risk of
cerebro-cardiovascular morbidity in well treated male hypertensives. A
retrospective study of 40-59-year-old hypertensives in a Swedish primary
care district. Acta Med Scand 1984; 216: 251-9.
113.    Strandgaard S, Haunso S. Why does antihypertensive treatment
prevent stroke but not myocardial infarction? Lancet 1987; ii: 658-61.
114.    Berglund G. Does antihypertensive treatment precipitate myocardial
infarctions? [editorial]. Acta Med Scand 1987; 222: 193-4.
115.    Beilin LJ. Non-pharmacological management of hypertension. In:
Swales JD, ed.  Textbook of Hypertension.  Oxford: Blackwell, 1994:
1165-77.

Staffan Lindeberg M.D. Ph.D. Dept of Community Health Sciences, Lund
University, Mailing address: Dr Staffan Lindeberg, Primary Health Care
Centre, Sjobo, S-22738 Sweden, +46 416 28140, Fax +46 416 18395
http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/lindeberg/