PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 00:00:05 +0100
At 01.51 97-07-04, Ron Hoggan wrote:
>Or [coronary heart disease] could be associated with an autoimmune
>response to alpha casein.

Which, like galactose, is another of the few substances for which the adult
human metabolic system was not designed.

>What is the protein content of butter?

According to Swedish food composition tables it is 0.6 mg per 100 g or 0.2
g per MJ (megajoule).

>Loren Cordain has also asserted a connection between gastric cancer and
>salt consumption, but I'm afraid I lack the biochemical background to grasp
>the concept. Could someone suggest a resource that would bring me up to
>speed on that point?

Case-control studies:
        Tuyns A. Salt and gastrointestinal cancer. Nutr Cancer 1988; 11: 229-32.
        Haenszel W et al. Stomach cancer among Japanese in Hawaii. J Natl
Cancer Inst 1972; 49: 969-88.
        Coggon D et al. Stomach cancer and food storage. J Natl Cancer Inst
1989; 81: 1178-82.
        Graham S et al. Diet in the epidemiology of gastric cancer. Nutr
Cancer 1990; 13: 19-34.
        Hu J et al. Diet and cancer of the stomach: a case-control study in
China. Int J Cancer 1988; 41: 331-5.

Epidemiology and reviews:
        Howson CP et al. The decline in gastric cancer: epidemiology of an
unplanned triumph. Epidemiol Rev 1986; 8: 1-27.
        Cordle F. The use of epidemiology, scientific data, and regulatory
authority to determine risk factors in cancers of some organs of the
digestive system. 5. Stomach cancer. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 1986; 6:
171-80.
        Joosens JV, Geboers J. Dietary salt and risks to health. Am J Clin
Nutr 1987; 45: 1277-88.

Experimental studies in rats:
        Shirai T et al. Effects of butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated
hydroxytoluene, and NaCl on gastric carcinogenesis initiated with
N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine in F344 rats. J Natl Cancer Inst 1984;
72: 1189-98.
        Takahashi M et al. Effects of sodium chloride, saccharin,
phenobarbital and aspirin on gastric carcinogenesis with
N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine. Gann 1984; 75: 494-501.
        Kim JP et al. Co-carcinogenic effects of several Korean foods on
gastric cancer induced by N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine in rats. Jpn
J Surg 1985; 15: 427-37.
        Tatematsu M et al. Effects in rats of sodium chloride on
experimental gastric cancers induced by
N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine or 4-nitroquinoline-1-oxide. J Natl
Cancer Inst 1975; 55: 101-6.

>>>Some studies have shown that with low salt diets, hypertension becomes
>>>worse.
>
>I would be very interested in citations supporting  this claim. If these
>reports included other dietary information, they might hold some very
>valuable clues to an enhanced understanding of the underlying pathology.

I am only aware of one such study. It showed unaltered blood pressure but
worsened serum total and HDL cholesterol in patients with non
insulin-dependent diabetes (del Rio A, Rodriguez-Villamil JL. Metabolic
effects of strict salt restriction in essential hypertensive patients. J
Intern Med 1993; 233: 409-14):

OBJECTIVE. Some observations suggest that a strict low-salt diet may induce
unfavourable metabolic side-effects. The main aim of this study was to
analyse the possible consequences of severe salt restriction in mildly
hypertensive patients. DESIGN. The study was carried out through a
randomized double-blind protocol. SUBJECTS. Forty-seven ambulatory patients
proceeding from the hypertension unit were initially admitted: 17 were
lost, and 30 non-diabetic mildly hypertensives (DBP 90-104 mmHg) with
normal renal function completed the protocol. INTERVENTION. After a
wash-out period, patients were maintained on a low-salt intake (2.8 +/- 1.0
g day-1 of NaCl) and placebo for 2 weeks, and the same diet and salt
supplements (11.7 +/- 2.5 g day-1 of NaCl) for another 2 weeks, separated
by a second wash-out period. MEASURES. At the end of each dietary period,
blood pressure (BP) and body weight were measured, and a blood sample was
taken for determination of routine serum chemistries, plasma lipid and
apolipoprotein concentrations, immunoreactive insulin (IRI), and plasma
renin activity (PRA). Urinary 24 h excretion of sodium and potassium were
measured. RESULTS. During the salt restriction period BP did not change,
weight lowered, and PRA raised. There was a significant increase in serum
level of creatinine, uric acid, IRI, total cholesterol and apo B, and a
decrease in HDL cholesterol and apo A-I. CONCLUSION. As previously
suggested, these observations seem to indicate that strict salt restriction
may cause, at least in the short-term, adverse metabolic changes in
hypertensive patients".

In a recent (1994) textbook of hypertension (1328 pages), edited by JD
Swales who is a well known critic of salt restriction in hypertension,
there are are two chapters dealing with salt. I can not find one single
study there (out of many) which suggests that blood pressure would increase
by a decreased intake of salt. What they did show was either a decrease or
no effect.

Cheers,

Staffan

Staffan Lindeberg M.D. Ph.D. Dept of Community Health Sciences, Lund
University, Mailing address: Dr Staffan Lindeberg, Primary Health Care
Centre, Sjobo, S-22738 Sweden, +46 416 28140, Fax +46 416 18395
http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/lindeberg/