PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:48:17 -0400
I would like to see specific documentation for the following assertions:

1) The claim that Americans' fat intake was constant betweeen 1935 and 1974.

2) The claim that saturated fats have been shown to reduce Lp(a) levels.
(I've checked Medline and I cannot find the Promod/Hayes reference.)

3) The claim that HDL/LDL cholesterol levels have no meaningful correlation
with heart disease.

I understand that #3 may be a great deal of effort to document, and I don't
expect to see mountains moved, but a brief summary with a few specific
references would be helpful.

In general I am sympathetic to Enig and Fallon's view that warnings about
the dangers of fat are bogus and quite possibly dangerous; my opinions on
this are best summarized by an article I wrote which appears at
http://www.syndicomm.com/lowfat.html -- I invite any criticism or comment
on this article from anyone on this list, including Enig or Fallon (in fact
Dr. Enig is briefly quoted in the article so she may want to have a look
for that reason alone. ;-).