Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:59:27 -0000

>I eat Pure Buckwheat in many different recipes.
>I have never had a reaction. I am extremely sensitive to gluten.

Don't know about celiac, but I've heard cautions about overdosing on
buckwheat if you have a wheat allergy. For some reason, cross sensitivity
seems to occur often enough between wheat allergy and buckwheat allergy
even though they aren't technically in the same food family. Must be
something accidentally similar about their protein, I would guess. The
cautions I've seen haven't been to ban it entirely from an allergic's
diet, but just to rotate it with other stuff so you don't develop an
allergy. Maybe this is why that other group put buckwheat on the no-no
list for celiacs? But if it doesn't bother you, that's the real test! So
enjoy.

                          Peace, Cathy Flick [log in to unmask]

P.S. Does anybody know where to get the lighter buckwheat flour? I've
only seen the dark, and that has too strong a flavor for me. I've heard
that the light buckwheat flour is much easier to use because of its less
strong flavor, but have never seen a mailorder source for it.

Also -- Japanese food sections might have Soba buckwheat noodles (read
the label to make sure that it isn't a mix of wheat and buckwheat, those
are also available). If you're extremely sensitive to gluten, of course,
you would need to check with the company about cross contamination before
indulging... The ones I use are flat noodles, generally from Erewhon I
think.